Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Joe Thomas <jo...@tellme.com> on 2004/09/02 21:19:13 UTC

Apache::DBI patches

A couple days ago, I posted a patch that fixed what I think is a real bug in
Apache::DBI when a script uses more than one database handle:

http://mathforum.org/epigone/modperl/stroblangnerm

Basically, I removed $Idx as a file-scoped variable, because if a script
used more than one database handle, the initial value of $Idx would get
overwritten, and the first database handle would never get to the
cleanup/rollback routine.

Back in July 2003, Patrick Mulvany posted a more substantial patch that
ensures that database handles get restored to their expected state if, for
example, a script changes AutoCommit, and doesn't change it back:

http://mathforum.org/epigone/modperl/gripemneh

With Patrick's patch, the next user of the database handle won't see the
effects of the first script's fiddling with the AutoCommit property.

Both patches are working well for me, and I was surprised to see no
discussion of either on the mod_perl list.  Patrick's patch needed a small
change to work with mine, so I've taken the liberty of combining them in the
attached file.

I'm also cc'ing Ask, as I think this should be included in Apache::DBI.  Of
course, feedback from others is welcome.

Thanks,
Joe