Posted to user@whirr.apache.org by Satish Mittal <sa...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/07 19:56:15 UTC

how to specify hardware-id per whirr instance template

Hi All,

I recently tried out apache whirr to spin off EC2 instances and deploy my
stack - that comprises of hadoop DN/NN/TT/JT and my distributed
applications that use hadoop. It worked fine. However in my recipe file, I
could give only one hardware-id:

whirr.hardware-id=m1.medium

However this configuration applies to all instance-templates in my recipe.
Ideally I would like to specify different hardwares for different instance
templates - so that I could spin off EC2 instance type depending upon the
combination of processes specified in the template (larger machine for
large number of processes, and vice-versa). Is it possible to do so
currently? I tried looking into the doc available, but couldn't find any
way. Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
Satish

--
"The happiest of people don´t necessarily have the best of everything, they
just make the most of everything that comes along their way."

Re: how to specify hardware-id per whirr instance template

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.
Actually, you keep the whirr.instance-templates line and add the
whirr.templates lines.

"whirr.templates.hadoop-namenode+A.hardware-id=m1.large" means "When
setting up the instances specified in whirr.instance-templates for the role
combo hadoop-namenode+A, use this hardware ID". It's an extra level of
configuration on top of the instance templates, not replacing them.

Hmm. I don't think we've got anything that currently supports running
multiple instances of a role on the same node. It could probably be done,
but would take some work in the core and a service that was explicitly
designed for that so that one instance didn't stomp on another...

A.

Posted by Satish Mittal <sa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Andrew!

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.