Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@gmail.com> on 2023/10/02 07:58:28 UTC

Draft: board report for 2023 Q3

Hello,

Below you can find a draft of this quarter's board report. I plan to
submit the final version next Monday (October 9, 2023).

Please let me know if you have any additions or corrections.

Best,
Stamatis

Apache Calcite is a highly customizable framework for parsing and planning
queries on data in a wide variety of formats. It allows database-like
access,
and in particular a SQL interface and advanced query optimization, for data
not residing in a traditional database.

Avatica is a sub-project within Calcite and provides a framework for
building
local and remote JDBC and ODBC database drivers. Avatica has an independent
release schedule and its own repository.

## Project Status:
Current project status: ongoing
Issues for the board: none

## Membership Data:
Apache Calcite was founded 2015-10-22 (8 years ago)
There are currently 69 committers and 27 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 2:1.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was Benchao Li on 2023-01-27.
- TJ Banghart was added as committer on 2023-07-04
- Dan Zou was added as committer on 2023-07-04

## Project Activity:
Apache Calcite 1.35.0 was released on 2023-07-26. It contains contributions
from 36 contributors, and resolves 140 issues. The new release has many
improvements in the BigQuery and Spark dialect bringing in more than 40 SQL
functions. Additionally, it comes with new optimizations for reducing the size
of generated code and more powerful expression simplifications.

On August 18, 2023, Benchao Li and Jiajun Xie represented the Calcite
community at the Apache Con East Asia by giving talks related with the
project.

## Community Health:
The project is healthy. Previously, it was super healthy. The drop is likely
to the fact that the PMC has not grown in the last six months but this will
very likely change in the near future since a lot of our current committers
are very involved with the project and hopefully they will join the PMC
shortly.

The dev list had a 38% in activity in the past quarter, with busiest threads
been as usual those around releases and introduction of new committers. The
16% increase in activity of the JIRA also contributes to the general increase
in traffic of the dev list.

The number of non-committer (contributor) commits per month:
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+
|        year         |        month        | contributor_commits |
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+
| 2023                | 7                   | 16                  |
| 2023                | 8                   | 32                  |
| 2023                | 9                   | 32                  |
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+

The number of active reviewers per month:
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+
|        year         |        month        |  active_reviewers   |
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+
| 2023                | 7                   | 9                   |
| 2023                | 8                   | 9                   |
| 2023                | 9                   | 10                  |
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+

Top-3 reviewers in the last quarter:
+-----------+---------------------+
| committer |       reviews       |
+-----------+---------------------+
| Jiajun <ji...@foxmail.com> | 15                  |
| Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> | 13                  |
| Benchao Li <li...@gmail.com> | 11                  |
+-----------+---------------------+

The number of non-committer commits has increased by 9% from the last quarter
(73 commits in Q2 vs. 80 commits in Q3) keeping up the good momentum of having
new people contributing to the project.

The average number of active reviewers per month has increased slightly from
the last quarter (7.6 in Q2 vs. 9.3 in Q3) showing that more people are
participating in the review process which is among the main points of the
project.

In the top reviewers, we can observe that things are a bit more balanced in
Q3. The review count per person in the top-3 tier is lower than usual but in
conjunction with the increase in the number of non-committer commits
it shows that
reviews are more evenly distributed among the members of the community.

Re: Draft: board report for 2023 Q3

Posted by Sergey Nuyanzin <sn...@gmail.com>.
Hi Stamatis

thanks for the draft report
it looks great

one thing which I currently not sure whether to add or not (because of
dates)
This year I will give a talk at Flink Forward 2023 (November 6-8 2023)
about Calcite upgrade journey in Apache Flink

--
Best regards,
Sergey

Re: Draft: board report for 2023 Q3