Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com> on 2005/08/09 23:40:09 UTC

[Fwd: ApacheCon US 2005 CFP slightly extended]

You've got an extra couple of days to put in a talk, so let's get some
more mod_perl talks in there!  ApacheCon is a great conference to speak
at and I know that many of you have stories worth telling but haven't
stepped up yet.  This is your chance.

- Perrin

Re: [Fwd: ApacheCon US 2005 CFP slightly extended]

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Dan Brian wrote:
> By the way, Stas deserves some severe kudos for these materials. They
> were the best tutorial materials at OSCON, reading like a well- written
> book. You could stand up and read the whole thing without any  preparation.

Thanks for the kind words, Dan.

The pseudo-pod source of the tutorial (handouts and slides) is available
here: http://people.apache.org/~stas/modperl-2.0-tutorial.tgz
You will need to install the module DocSet available from CPAN in order to
build the html/pdf version of it (see README for details). But feel free
to ask questions if you have any.

If you speak very fast and leave no time for questions, you will need at
least 3-4 hours to cover it all. So most likely you will want to either
leave some parts off or flip slides really fast :)

Re: [Fwd: ApacheCon US 2005 CFP slightly extended]

Posted by Dan Brian <da...@brians.org>.
By the way, Stas deserves some severe kudos for these materials. They
were the best tutorial materials at OSCON, reading like a well-
written book. You could stand up and read the whole thing without any
preparation.

But, don't do that. :-)

Thanks Stas!

- Dan

Re: [Fwd: ApacheCon US 2005 CFP slightly extended]

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@liquidation.com>.
Stas Bekman wrote:
> Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
>> I'm game. Sign me up.
>

> You need to submit it by yourself. See perrin's original post for
> details. Feel free to ask questions if you have any.
I guess e-mail didn't express that right.  That was more me saying I'd
do it not that I wanted someone to sign me up for me. :)

Re: [Fwd: ApacheCon US 2005 CFP slightly extended]

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.
> Wicked, so go for it then, and I'll most likely be in the audience hiding
> somewhere ;-) I've submitted quite a few talks of my own, so I'll get plenty
> of time to talk anyways.
Oh great now the nerves.

> Long Live mod_perl!
Yes!

Despite the nerves, I've officially submitted the proposal using Stas'
abstract.  BIG THANKS FOR ALL THE WORK STAS!  If was I to swap any one
section out and and replace it with my own, what would people most be
interested in hearing/seeing ?

--
END
                 Nothing is impossible.

Consultant / http://p6m7g8.net/Resume/
   http://www.liquidityservicesinc.com
        http://www.liquidation.com
        http://www.uksurplus.com
        http://www.govliquidation.com
        http://www.gowholesale.com

Re: [Fwd: ApacheCon US 2005 CFP slightly extended]

Posted by "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@ectoplasm.org>.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@liquidation.com>.
> It's more or less been the same abstract each time around.
Does anyone have it handy for me to submit ?
> Well, I don't mind doing, and I've done it once in the past. It's a long 3hour
> tutorial, so it's certainly not like a quick 45 minute presentation. I guess it
> depends on the kind of speaking experience you have and how much you'd like to
> do it. I don't particuarly mind either way.
I'm game. Sign me up.

I've taugh classes to up to 20 people before for the
University of Maryland in College Park, Maryland.

--
END
Philip M. Gollucci
Senior Developer - Liquidity Services Inc.
Phone:  202.558.6268 (Direct)
Cell:   301.254.5198
E-Mail: pgollucci@liquidation.com
Web:    http://www.liquidityservicesinc.com

Posted by "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@ectoplasm.org>.
Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
> Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
>
>> So unless anybody steps up by the end of the day, I'll submit a
>> mod_perl tutorial.
>
> Hi all,
>
> I've just gotten an okay from boss.  I've been to the conferences
> before, and this particular tutorial as given by Stas, but never been a
> presenter.

Cool, it'll be a great opportunity to say hello and share beer and food ;-)

  Where do I start? And does the proposal have be long, is one

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@liquidation.com>.
Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> So unless anybody steps up by the end of the day, I'll submit a mod_perl tutorial.
Hi all,

I've just gotten an okay from boss.  I've been to the conferences
before, and this particular tutorial as given by Stas, but never been a
presenter.  Where do I start? And does the proposal have be long, is one

Posted by "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@ectoplasm.org>.
Stas Bekman wrote:
> Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
>
>> Stas Bekman wrote:

>>> I'm not submitting any proposals, as I won't be there,
>>
>> How come Stas? I thought you'd be going ?
>
> Too many conferences, too little time

I understand the feeling ;-)

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@ectoplasm.org>.
Stas Bekman wrote:
> Perrin Harkins wrote:
>
>> You've got an extra couple of days to put in a talk, so let's get some
>> more mod_perl talks in there!  ApacheCon is a great conference to speak
>> at and I know that many of you have stories worth telling but haven't
>> stepped up yet.  This is your chance.
>
> I'm not submitting any proposals, as I won't be there,

How come Stas? I thought you'd be going ?

> so hopefully
> someone else will submit the usual 3h tutorial proposal.

I don't mind trying to do it, as I've done it at least once before. Unless
somebody else wants a shot at it ?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Perrin Harkins wrote:
> You've got an extra couple of days to put in a talk, so let's get some
> more mod_perl talks in there!  ApacheCon is a great conference to speak
> at and I know that many of you have stories worth telling but haven't
> stepped up yet.  This is your chance.

I'm not submitting any proposals, as I won't be there, so hopefully
someone else will submit the usual 3h tutorial proposal. You are welcome

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 23:22 -0400, Jim Martinez wrote:
> What advantages do speakers receive?  If being a speaker reduces the
> costs, my boss may let me attend.

The conference is free for speakers, and they pay for your hotel and
travel, and they pay you a few hundred dollars for the tutorial I think.

Posted by Jim Martinez <jj...@bigbigorg.org>.
On Aug 9 Perrin Harkins wrote:

> You've got an extra couple of days to put in a talk, so let's get some
> more mod_perl talks in there!  ApacheCon is a great conference to speak
> at and I know that many of you have stories worth telling but haven't
> stepped up yet.  This is your chance.
>
> - Perrin

What advantages do speakers receive?  If being a speaker reduces the
costs, my boss may let me attend.

I'll submit a proposal for a one hour talk, something along the lines of
factoring using Apache::Test.  It won't be mod_perl specific.  I've done
and continue to do refactoring with Apache::Test.

- Jim