Posted to users@groovy.apache.org by Suderman Keith <su...@anc.org> on 2016/09/18 02:07:23 UTC

Re: Groovy kernel for Jupyter Notebook

After a longer than anticipated delay (lots of fires to put out at work) I finally have a working "proof-of-concept" Jupyter kernel for Groovy that is (marginally) worth sharing.  The code is available from https://github.com/lappsgrid-incubator/jupyter-groovy-kernel under the Apache 2.0 license.

QUICKSTART (from source)

$> git clone https://github.com/lappsgrid-incubator/jupyter-groovy-kernel.git
$> cd jupyter-groovy-kernel
$> mvn package
$> mkdir /directory/to/store/kernels
$> ./install.sh /directory/to/store/kernels
$> jupyter notebook

QUICKSTART (pre-compiled binaries)

$> mkdir /directory/to/store/kernels
$> wget http://www.lappsgrid.org/downloads/jupyter-groovy-kernel-1.0.0.tgz
$> tar xzf jupyter-groovy-kernel-1.0.0.tgz
$> cd jupyter-groovy-kernel-1.0.0
$> ./install.sh /directory/to/store/kernels
$> jupyter notebook

TODO

1. I would like to streamline the installation.  Currently the install.sh script copies the jar file to a directory and then patches the kernel.json file to use the full path to the jar file before calling `jupyter kernelspec install`.  I can't help but think there has to be a better way.
2. While the kernel listens on all the ZMQ sockets, the stdin and history sockets are pretty much ignored.  The completion socket handler is a hack at best.
3. Provide a dockerized version of Juptyer with the Groovy kernel preinstalled.  I have this for our Groovy DSL (see below) so it shouldn't be difficult to do.

There is also an example of using the jupyter-groovy-kernel as the base for a Groovy DSL Jupyter kernel.  See https://github.com/lappsgrid-incubator/jupyter-lsd-kernel for more information.

Feedback and comments are welcome.

Enjoy!
Keith

> On Jul 25, 2016, at 2:46 PM, rmchale <ry...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Have you been able to work on this?  I am interested.
>
> Keith Suderman wrote
>>> On May 2, 2016, at 5:57 PM, Paolo Di Tommaso &lt;
>
>> paolo.ditommaso@
>
>> &gt; wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't know any another project but I could be interested to contribute
>>> to a Groovy kernel for Jupiter.
>>
>> I will keep you (and the list) posted.
>>
>> I do have a working kernel, but I likely won’t have anything really useful
>> to share (on GitHub) until early June.

Research Associate
Department of Computer Science
Vassar College