Posted to builds@apache.org by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> on 2009/11/23 17:46:41 UTC

Policy for Hudson accounts

Just checking that the Wiki is accurate, and that I should reject this
request [1] as Uwe is not a PMC member.

Agreed?

p.s. For extra credit, what is the rationale for requiring PMC
membership rather than, say, committership?

Regards,
Tim

Re: AW: Policy for Hudson accounts

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
On 24/Nov/2009 17:37, Jan Matèrne wrote:
>> Ok, it just seems strange that we'll give people accounts while
>> committers in the incubator [1], but when they graduate they are no
>> longer eligible to apply.
>>
>> [1] wiki: "a member of a PMC or an Incubator project"
>
> I think the idea is, that all (?) committers of an incubator project
> become PMC member if the project passes the incubation phase?

Usually the PPMC -> PMC, so I'm not sure that is the argument.

> But should be edit the wiki and explain why PMC membership is required?

Sure, once there is a reasonable explanation to be given <g>.

Maybe PMC or PPMC membership should be required?

Regards,
Tim

AW: Policy for Hudson accounts

Posted by Jan Matèrne <ja...@materne.de>.
> Ok, it just seems strange that we'll give people accounts while
> committers in the incubator [1], but when they graduate they are no
> longer eligible to apply.
>
> [1] wiki: "a member of a PMC or an Incubator project"

I think the idea is, that all (?) committers of an incubator project become PMC member if the project passes the incubation phase?

But should be edit the wiki and explain why PMC membership is required?

Jan

Re: Policy for Hudson accounts

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 25/11/2009, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

>  On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 3:54 PM, Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> wrote:
>  > The reason PMC membership is required is because we allow Hudson users
>  > access to a command-line.
>

> Essentially the PMC membership requirement is just an approximation to
>  limit accounts to only people who can be trusted with command-line
>  access.

Not entirely.

Granting Hudson access also means that the person can create lots of
Hudson jobs, potentially causing problems for other Hudson users.

Seems to me that the requirement for PMC membership may go some way to
ensuring that the person is more experienced.

>  Personally I'd be in favor of giving out Hudson web accounts to all
>  committers and limiting command line access only to administrators.

Disagree, see above.

>  There aren't that many cases where command line access really is
>  needed.

Agree, but IMO that's a separate issue.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,