Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by "Morozova, Nadezhda" <na...@intel.com> on 2006/10/31 14:33:51 UTC

[doc] No Doxygen reference for code :(

Hi everyone,

I've noticed that there's no API reference documentation for Harmony
code - generated by Doxygen/Javadoc.  I guess many will agree that
having API reference is very useful and convenient.

This issue was discussed a while ago [1] for kernel classes and vmi
interface in classlib. We agreed to store the Doxygen docs on the
website by generating them manually from code and placing there. It
seems that the old version of the docs was removed from SVN but never
made its way to the website, so it's just NOWHERE now :-(. Let's fix it!

AFAIU, we want to have the following:

1.	Ability to generate docs locally from source code as part of
build - need to change existing build files or write new ones.
2.	Ability to see docs on the website - manually copy a local
bundle of docs to the website and add a link. Geir has been planning to
include the website into the next snapshot; supplying ready reference
with it seem nice.

Volunteers?

I can work on item 2 for sure to get a nice config file and patch the
website to link to our new Doxygen API. Item 1 -fixing the build - might
be more extravagant, so your aid's welcome ;)

[1] mail thread
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200609.mb
ox/%3c591B455B-186D-43B4-8F9D-D5A0EA52A38D@pobox.com%3e

Thanks,

Nadya Morozova

Re: [doc] No Doxygen reference for code :(

Posted by Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com>.
Alexey Petrenko wrote:
> I think that we can place the docs here:
> http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/subcomponents/classlibrary/index.html
Yes, that's one of my candidate, another one is here:
standard/site/docs/documentation/documentation.html, because I think it
is also a reasonable idea for the user to go for "documentation" if you
wanna some API explanation. How about we put the API document in each
subcomponents(classlib/drlvm/jchevm), but also add their link in

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.
On the 0x230 day of Apache Harmony Salikh Zakirov wrote:
> Morozova, Nadezhda wrote:
> > I've noticed that there's no API reference documentation for Harmony
> > code - generated by Doxygen/Javadoc.  I guess many will agree that
> > having API reference is very useful and convenient.
>
> I've tried to build doxygen documentation for the Thread Manager
> component of the DRLVM (i.e. drlvm/vm/thread/src/*.[ch] +
> drlvm/vm/include/open/*thr*.h).
>
> I needed to have a Doxyfile and fix a couple of warnings along the way,
> please see the patch attached to HARMONY-2351.
>
> However, the generated documentation was of little use to me,
> due to the generated documentation treating all structure members
> as 'typedef's, while in fact they are just regular struct fields.
>
> > 1.	Ability to generate docs locally from source code as part of
> > build - need to change existing build files or write new ones.
>
> After adding Doxyfile to drlvm/vm/thread/doc, one can do following:
>
>     $ cd drlvm/vm/thread/doc
>     $ doxygen
>
> then browse drlvm/vm/thread/doc/html/index.html
>
> > 2.	Ability to see docs on the website - manually copy a local
> > bundle of docs to the website and add a link. Geir has been planning to
> > include the website into the next snapshot; supplying ready reference
> > with it seem nice.
>
> Judging from the quality of docs generated from thread manager,
> we should *not* publish it on a web-site.

why? what can make us hide the most part?

we have our sources, ok, not ideally documented, but we will see how
to improve them if they are on the website.

> The only documentation that may be worth linking is intercomponent header files in:
>
>     drlvm/vm/include/open/

Why should we carefully select "clean" parts and then "publish" them
as if we were writing a book?

I think, *all code must be documented* more or less. Some more, some less.

Making all the project Doxygen docs visible from the website allows:
* developers to walk through links, view class diagram charts and find
  what they want (in latest snapshots)
* beginner developers to see the best-documented top-level docs to
  understand the basic architectural conscepts
* all of us to review the documentation *easier*, suggest changes,
  document more

aren't my arguments convincing? :)

--
Egor Pasko

Re: [doc] No Doxygen reference for code :(

Posted by Salikh Zakirov <Sa...@Intel.com>.