Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Michael Ralston <mi...@ralston.id.au> on 2005/12/03 08:47:57 UTC

Forrest-Lenya / StaticHTMLExport for 1.4 (was Looking for some work to do on Lenya)

On Friday 02 December 2005 09:38, Tim Williams wrote:

> Isn't this what folks are trying to accomplish with the Forrest-Lenya
> integration effort?  Given both are Cocoon apps, seems wasteful to try
> and recreate what Forrest is already good at?

I've had a quick google and found some mailing list discussion of
forrest-lenya on the forrest-dev list. What is the current status of this
work? Is there somewhere code can be found?

I don't know much about forrest, what are the goals of integrating forrest and
lenya? Will this project fullfill all the requirements for StaticHTMLExport?
Configurability, Reusability, Downloading css/images correctly?

Michi/Andreas, what do you think of this approach?

Michael

Re: Forrest-Lenya / StaticHTMLExport for 1.4 (was Looking for some work to do on Lenya)

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Michael Ralston wrote:
> On Friday 02 December 2005 09:38, Tim Williams wrote:
>
>>Isn't this what folks are trying to accomplish with the Forrest-Lenya
>>integration effort?  Given both are Cocoon apps, seems wasteful to try
>>and recreate what Forrest is already good at?
>

> I've had a quick google and found some mailing list discussion of
> forrest-lenya on the forrest-dev list. What is the current status of this
> work? Is there somewhere code can be found?

There has been very little work on the Lenya plugin, a skeleton plugin
can be found in the forrest whiteboard, see the
org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.Lenya plugin.

It would also be useful to look at the Daisy plugin, also in the Forrest
whiteboard). This is pretty complete (although still alpha). It is
currently used to publis the Cocoon docs from their Daisy instance. I'd
recomend using that as a base for work on Lenya publication.

> I don't know much about forrest, what are the goals of integrating forrest and
> lenya?

There are two distinct goals, one short term, one long term.

Short term is exactly what your subject says. To publish Lenya content
in multiple output formats.

Long term is to leverage Forrests handling of multiple input formats.

> Will this project fullfill all the requirements for StaticHTMLExport?

Yes (as far as I understand those requirements).

> Configurability, Reusability, Downloading css/images correctly?

Is there a question in there?

> Michi/Andreas, what do you think of this approach?

See the archives, it's always been supported just never done.

For my part I, once again, offer my support in doing this. I can't write
the code, it's not my itch. However, I have written the Daisy plugin and
all the Forrest extensions that were needed for it. I'd be more than
happy to help leverage this work in a Lenya plugin.

Ross