Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID> on 2018/07/14 09:15:58 UTC

log4j-core.jar size

hi folks!

I've noticed that log4j-core.jar is now 1.6MB in size. That used to be 600kB in 2.0 and 300kB in log4j-1.2.9.

This sounds like there might be tons of stuff which does actually _not_ belong to log4j-core but should get moved into a separate jar.

Don't get me wrong, I love log4j2. But the size is slowly becoming problematic!

LieGrue,
strub

Re: log4j-core.jar size

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
I totally agree, which is why we are moving to separate stuff out in 3.0.  Please take a look at log4j core in master and let us know what other stuff you think should be moved out.

Ralph

Re: log4j-core.jar size

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.

> Am 14.07.2018 um 11:15 schrieb Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>:
>
> hi folks!
>
> I've noticed that log4j-core.jar is now 1.6MB in size. That used to be 600kB in 2.0 and 300kB in log4j-1.2.9.
>
> This sounds like there might be tons of stuff which does actually _not_ belong to log4j-core but should get moved into a separate jar.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I love log4j2. But the size is slowly becoming problematic!
>
> LieGrue,
> strub

Note that the 300kB of log4j-1 did already contain the api which is now separated and adds an additional 250kB...

LieGrue,
strub

Re: log4j-core.jar size

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
In git master for 3.0.0-SNAPSHOT we have moved code from core to new
modules.

Gary