Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "David M. Karr" <dm...@earthlink.net> on 2002/10/20 17:32:23 UTC

Re: Struts -> migrating to JSTL

>>>>> "flare" == flare  <fl...@flare.it> writes:

    flare> well.. I've read the specs and now I (strongly) want to use JSTL with struts 1.02 ;)
    flare> Any recommendation?
    flare> I'm going to use struts html + core + fmt jstl. The only problems I can think of is how to set
    flare> the same resource bundle of struts in jstl and the i18n stuff (how can I switch locale in struts
    flare> and make jstl know about that?)
    flare> Is there a doc that explains how to migrate to JSTL?

You want to use the OLD Struts with the NEW JSTL?  (Not that there was an "old"
JSTL.)

You will definitely find it much easier to use the NEW Struts.  In particular,
the nightly build.  That's because, in the nightly build, one of the
contributed libraries is called "Struts-EL".  If you've read the JSTL
specification, you probably can guess what that implies.

That being said, there's no technical reason you couldn't use Struts 1.02 with
the JSTL.  You'd just have to know that the JSTL uses scoped variables, but
Struts will require scriptlet variables in some places.  If you used Struts-EL,
you don't need scriptlet variables.