Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> on 1998/11/05 15:59:04 UTC

ANN: mod_dav now available

Hello all...

I've just prepped the first release of my mod_dav module for Apache.
Currently, this implements a (near) complete Class 1 WebDAV server.

Full information and the software can be found at:

    http://www.lyra.org/greg/mod_dav/

Users are encouraged to download and try it out. While the code is quite
complete, this is the first public release and the documentation and
install procedures need a bit of work. All feedback, bug fixes,
comments, etc are most welcome.

mod_dav is Open Source and is being licensed under the LGPL license.
More information is available at the above URL.

Cheers,
-g

p.s. if you aren't familiar with DAV, then ignore this email :-), or
visit my resources page at http://www.lyra.org/greg/dav.html

p.p.s. I'm not sure if this mailing list is an appropriate forum for
this kind of announcement; I'm open to being educated :-). I'm hoping
that some of more experienced Apache developers could help with feedback
and/or that I can provide feedback to this forum with my experiences in
coding mod_dav.

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: ANN: mod_dav now available

Posted by James Barry <jm...@ibm.net>.
The best licensing for the widespread distribution in the core is the
Apache License. This license has worked very well at advancing Apache so
far.

IBM and other companies unfortunately have legal issues with the MPL & GPL
licenses.

IBM does contribute all changes it produces back to the core, and employs a
growing team to do just that.

--
James Barry
Product Manager IBM http Servers and WebSphere

Re: ANN: mod_dav now available

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.

Re: ANN: mod_dav now available

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Stefan Arentz wrote:
> Apache team, are there any plans to put modules like this in the
> standard distribution?

I'm certainly in favour of it, but there may be issues with an LGPL
licence...

Anway, I fully support Greg's efforts.

Cheers,

Ben.

Re: ANN: mod_dav now available

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
[ I had originally intended to reply just to you, Stefen, but new-httpd
munges the Reply-To and it burned me. I'll stick with convention and
keep going this way... :-) ]

Stefan Arentz wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 06, 1998 at 03:19:43AM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
> > Stefan Arentz wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Greg,
> > >
> > > This is really good! I was just investigating WebDAV myself and had
> > > almost started implementing it.
> >
> > Thanx. Guess I released just in time :-)
>
> Yup. A bit off topic, but do you know of any web authoring tools that
> are alreay WebDAV compliant? How did you test it yourself?

Earlier tonite, I added a section to my mod_dav web page that talks
about clients since people have been asking quite a bit.

I tested the server using Python scripts (yes, Python rules :-). Those
are on my page now.

Regarding authoring tools: there aren't any yet. I think I beat the
tools to public availability :-). Microsoft FrontPage and Office 2000
will be DAV-capable, and NetObjects' NetFusion is supposed to be.

Now that a DAV-capable server is available, then people "should" be able
to write clients. I've got one half of the chicken and egg :-)

> > > Modules like this one are the type of thing that will make Apache
> > > really competitive with IIS.
> >
> > Yup. Although I'm motivated by the functionality rather than the
> > competition. Keeping Apache at the top of the Netcraft survey doesn't
> > hurt, though.... hehe
>
> Yup. Functionality is more important, I totally agree, but regarding to
> the Halloween document it would be nice to show the world what kind of
> wonderfull software there already is available for Apache.

That was definitely a wild sense of timing. I'd been working on the
module before the Halloween Document, of course, but I was quite amused
when it came out and I saw the sections about DAV in there (I know
MSFT's complete position on DAV since I used to work there, but it was
funny seeing it mentioned a little bit). Note that Eric has added a
comment into the Halloween I doc to refer to my mod_dav page.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: ANN: mod_dav now available

Posted by Stefan Arentz <st...@soze.com>.
On Fri, Nov 06, 1998 at 03:19:43AM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
> Stefan Arentz wrote:
> >
> > Hi Greg,
> >
> > This is really good! I was just investigating WebDAV myself and had
> > almost started implementing it.
>
> Thanx. Guess I released just in time :-)

Yup. A bit off topic, but do you know of any web authoring tools that
are alreay WebDAV compliant? How did you test it yourself?

> > Modules like this one are the type of thing that will make Apache
> > really competitive with IIS.
>
> Yup. Although I'm motivated by the functionality rather than the
> competition. Keeping Apache at the top of the Netcraft survey doesn't
> hurt, though.... hehe

Yup. Functionality is more important, I totally agree, but regarding to
the Halloween document it would be nice to show the world what kind of
wonderfull software there already is available for Apache.

> If you're interested in it, then please give it a whirl. I'd be happy to
> hear your feedback.

Thanx, I'm going to install it this weekend and hack a bit with it.

 Take care,

    Stefan

Re: ANN: mod_dav now available

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.