Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Mark W. Webb" <ma...@dolphtech.com> on 2003/10/23 16:01:26 UTC

no main in Embedded.java

I was looking at the tomcat 5.0.12 source and noticed that the file
Embedded.java does not contain a main.  I think that there should be
one, since catalina.sh references this class as the entry point to start
tomcat.

PS.  I do alot of work with embedded java and would like to help out
more.  Please let me know if I may be of any help to the people
maintaining that part of tomcat.

thanks.

Re: no main in Embedded.java

Posted by "Mark W. Webb" <ma...@dolphtech.com>.
Thanks for the information.

I downloaded the tomcat-embedded tarball that you referenced.  It looks
very minimal, which is nice.

Just a couple of points that I hope you can answer, my customer has some
rigid requirements that I must follow:
1. The tomcat that I provide to the customer must be built from source,
with instructions on how I compiled it.  Therefore, I ask the question;
how can I compile the embedded tomcat from source?
2.  I do not see a startup script in the tarball that you provided me.
Where may I find this?
3.  Where can I get more information on the new way in which embedded
tomcat works using JMX?

thank you *very* much for your help.

Re: no main in Embedded.java

Posted by "Mark W. Webb" <ma...@dolphtech.com>.
Forgive me if I am sounding like a complete idiot.  But are you saying
that I should use the JMX API in order to launch tomcat?  After looking
at some of the MX4J example code, this is the case.  But I am not sure
what class I should call from the JMX code in order to get Tomcat to
start.  I will keep digging, but any help you could offer, or
documentation I could reference would be greatly appreciated.

thank you very much

Re: no main in Embedded.java

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Re: no main in Embedded.java

Posted by "Mark W. Webb" <ma...@dolphtech.com>.
My main motivation for this is that I am looking for a way to start
embedded Tomcat from within a C program using the Invocation API.  What
would be the new entry point class that I should look?  Whatever this
class is, its the one that I want to call from my C program.

Thank you.

Re: no main in Embedded.java

Posted by Jean-Francois Arcand <jf...@apache.org>.

Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Jean-Francois Arcand wrote:
>
>> The Embedded.main has been removed a long time ago (at the time of
>> introducing JMX). As for the sh/bat, I did remove the option....2
>> days ago (just browse the list). The JMX approach is in my opinion a
>> good alternative:
>>
>> http://apache.crihan.fr/dist/jakarta/tomcat-5/v5.0.12-beta/bin/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.12-embed.tar.gz
>>
>> I don't have any problem to bring the option back if you dig and
>> submit a patch that bring back the Embedded.main (a lot of things has
>> changed so be sure we are not regressing)
>

> That method was nothing more than an example anyway. It has no place
> in the distribution.
> I believe the Embedde API itself is still backwards compatible.

Yes, it works fine.....some products you may remember still use it ;-)

Re: no main in Embedded.java

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Re: no main in Embedded.java

Posted by Jean-Francois Arcand <jf...@apache.org>.