Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Kaspar Brand <ht...@velox.ch> on 2013/12/01 12:16:51 UTC

Re: svn commit: r1546693 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: docs/log-message-tags/next-number modules/ssl/ssl_engine_config.c modules/ssl/ssl_engine_init.c

On 30.11.2013 12:54, Graham Leggett wrote:
> A question out of ignorance on my side. Will/can the above directive
> be able to influence / somehow affect the ENGINE_ctrl_cmd_string()
> openssl call needed when using dynamic engines in openssl (the
> "engine -pre" and "-post" options specifically)?

Steve is probably the best person to answer this, but in my view,
SSLOpenSSLConfCmd is meant to expose the SSL_CONF API, and should not be
used to mix in ENGINE API things, too.

SSLOpenSSLConfCmd is basically a per-SSL_CTX thing, i.e. per-vhost SSL
stuff. ENGINE(s) shouldn't have to be configured at the vhost level,
hopefully (cf. the current SSLCryptoDevice directive, which is server
config context only).

Kaspar

Posted by Dr Stephen Henson <sh...@opensslfoundation.com>.
On 01/12/2013 11:16, Kaspar Brand wrote:
> On 30.11.2013 12:54, Graham Leggett wrote:
>> A question out of ignorance on my side. Will/can the above directive
>> be able to influence / somehow affect the ENGINE_ctrl_cmd_string()
>> openssl call needed when using dynamic engines in openssl (the
>> "engine -pre" and "-post" options specifically)?
>
> Steve is probably the best person to answer this, but in my view,
> SSLOpenSSLConfCmd is meant to expose the SSL_CONF API, and should not be
> used to mix in ENGINE API things, too.

Well at present there is no ENGINE interface for SSL_CONF. As pointed out it
isn't a good fit for general ENGINE configuration but it could be updated in
future to support ENGINE based private keys.

Steve.
--
Dr Stephen Henson. OpenSSL Software Foundation, Inc.
1829 Mount Ephraim Road