Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> on 2005/11/07 14:49:32 UTC

harmony with classpath (was: Re: compiling bootJVM with MSVC)

Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 22:29 +0000, Tim Ellison wrote:
>
>>It is worth noting that many of us are here specifically due to the
>>terms of the ASL
>

> When we started our harmony collaboration project half of the people
> signing the announcement were from projects that are distributed under
> terms different from the ASL. But we all felt we should endorse it since
> we wanted to make this project into as large a free software ecosystem
> around a free alternative to the proprietary j2se implementations as
> possible. For several of us the ASL is even too restrictive to be used
> in our own projects. That is why the harmony project encourages all
> contributions to be available under terms that are also GPL-compatible.
> At the same time we are working from the inside to influence the apache
> rules to allow us to more effectively work together and lobby the
> various foundation boards to clear up any (perceived) license
> incompatibilities. Lets make Harmony into that collaborative project
> that we envisioned when we started it and be open to the whole
> community.

Understood and agreed -- so despite the current 'restrictions' that
preclude unfettered participation in both directions we should certainly
be seeking out opportunities for such collaboration.

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)