Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Alexander Lieflander <al...@lieflander.ca> on 2018/10/24 23:50:42 UTC

Cannot install SpamAssassin on Ubuntu 18.04.1 (gpg not found?)

Hello,

When I try to install SpamAssassin via aptitude, the installation never gets past dpkg configuring them.
The specific error reads:

error: gpg required but not found!  It is not recommended, but you can use "sa-update" with the --no-gpg to skip the verification.

The weird thing is that I have the most recent version of gpg installed. And when I try the suggestion from the first error message (i.e. "sa-update --no-gpg”), I get another error that reads:

Unknown option: no-gpg

The man page for sa-update also doesn’t list that option anywhere…

Any ideas? By the way, I’ve attached the logs of my most recent installation attempt.

I’m using Ubuntu (server) 18.04.1 LTS.

Re: Cannot install SpamAssassin on Ubuntu 18.04.1 (gpg not found?)

Posted by Alexander Lieflander <al...@lieflander.ca>.
I’m not sure if my email went through last night, so I’m sending it again.

"gpg --version” returns:

gpg (GnuPG) 2.2.4
libgcrypt 1.8.1

"sa-compile --version” returns:

SpamAssassin version 3.4.1

I’ve attached the man page of sa-compile (on my system).

Re: Cannot install SpamAssassin on Ubuntu 18.04.1 (gpg not found?)

Posted by Chris Pollock <cp...@embarqmail.com>.
On Thu, 2018-10-25 at 15:23 +0100, Dominic Raferd wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 at 15:16, RW <rw...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> > dpkg
> > mentions
> > the
> > man
> > >
> > > where did it say sa-compile?
> >
> > It failed when sa-compile was being installed
> >
> > > nothing with sa-compile.

> > compile
> > >
> > > this should not happen at all. when sa-compile is installed,
> > > spamassassin (and sa-update) should be installed and configured.
> >
> > I would guess that there was no problem when spamassassin was
> > installed
> > and sa-compile was installed later.
>
> I am using SA on Ubuntu 18.04 without any such problems. Looking at
> the package changelogs for SA 3.4.1-8 under Debian/Ubuntu they are
> identical except that, for Ubuntu 18.04, SA was rebuilt
> against openssl1.1. The only sadness is that Ubuntu 18.04 is
> currently stuck with 3.4.1 (3.4.2 is available on 18.10).

FWIW back on 9 Oct I submitted a bug report regarding 3.4.2 for 18.04

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/spamassassin/+bug/1796863

I'm hoping that it will be available soon.

Chris

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C

Re: Cannot install SpamAssassin on Ubuntu 18.04.1 (gpg not found?)

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.
On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 15:23:17 +0100
Dominic Raferd wrote:

> I am using SA on Ubuntu 18.04 without any such problems.

You wouldn't if you don't have gpg installed in a world writable
directory.

Re: Cannot install SpamAssassin on Ubuntu 18.04.1 (gpg not found?)

Posted by Dominic Raferd <do...@timedicer.co.uk>.

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

On 25.10.18 15:16, RW wrote:
>It failed when sa-compile was being installed

I see now - it was in the attachments.
The logs are quite clear for me:

Setting up spamassassin (3.4.1-8build1) ...
error: gpg required but not found!  It is not recommended, but you can use "sa-update" with the --no-gpg to skip the verification.
dpkg: error processing package spamassassin (--configure):
 installed spamassassin package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 2

... spamassassin could not be set up, because of the GPG problem.

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of sa-compile:
 sa-compile depends on spamassassin; however:
  Package spamassassin is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package sa-compile (--configure):

... sa-compile could not be installed because spamassassin wasn't
configured.

>> On 25.10.18 14:37, RW wrote:
>> >This is a consequence of Ubuntu (or Debian) splitting off sa-compile
>> >into a separate  package. The error occurred  while checking
>> >sa-compile's dependency, the spamassassin package.
>>
>> this should not happen at all. when sa-compile is installed,
>> spamassassin (and sa-update) should be installed and configured.
>
>I would guess that there was no problem when spamassassin was installed
>and sa-compile was installed later.

well, the problem was there already when spamassassin was installed,

Luckily the problem is solved now.
It was outside of debian/ubuntu scope - nobody should expect systems working
with external changes.
10 GOTO 10 : REM (C) Bill Gates 1998, All Rights Reserved!

Re: Cannot install SpamAssassin on Ubuntu 18.04.1 (gpg not found?)

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
>On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 08:37:45 -0400 Alexander Lieflander wrote:
>> As a side-note, it seems like the error message returned by dpkg (and
>> thus SpamAssassin, I guess) is incorrect. Where it mentions
>> “sa-compile”, it should really be mentioning “sa-update”, as the man
>> page for sa-update contains the “--nogpg” option, and the man page
>> for sa-compile does not.

where did it say sa-compile?

the only mistake I see is that sa-update mentions "--no-gpg" option but
really has "--nogpg" option.
perl module Mail/SpamAssassin/Util/DependencyInfo.pm mentions that too, btw.

nothing with sa-compile.

On 25.10.18 14:37, RW wrote:
>This is a consequence of Ubuntu (or Debian) splitting off sa-compile
>into a separate  package. The error occurred  while checking
>sa-compile's dependency, the spamassassin package.

this should not happen at all. when sa-compile is installed, spamassassin
(and sa-update) should be installed and configured.

well, I checked on debian 8 and debian 9, not on ubuntu 18.04
"To Boot or not to Boot, that's the question." [WD1270 Caviar]

Re: Cannot install SpamAssassin on Ubuntu 18.04.1 (gpg not found?)

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Alexander Lieflander <al...@lieflander.ca>.
…I had gpg in a world-writable directory. I fixed the permissions, and SpamAssassin installed perfectly.

Thanks!

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Alexander Lieflander <al...@lieflander.ca>.
"gpg --version” returns:

gpg (GnuPG) 2.2.4
libgcrypt 1.8.1

"sa-compile --version” returns:

SpamAssassin version 3.4.1

I’ve attached the man page of sa-compile (on my system).
(Also I’m not sure which email address I’m supposed to send my reply to, so I’m including both of them.)

Re: Cannot install SpamAssassin on Ubuntu 18.04.1 (gpg not found?)

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.
On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 19:50:42 -0400
Alexander Lieflander wrote:

> Hello,
>
> When I try to install SpamAssassin via aptitude, the installation
> never gets past dpkg configuring them. The specific error reads:
>
> error: gpg required but not found!  It is not recommended, but you
> can use "sa-update" with the --no-gpg to skip the verification.
>
> The weird thing is that I have the most recent version of gpg
> installed.

what's the output of

    gpg --version

> And when I try the suggestion from the first error message
> (i.e. "sa-update --no-gpg”), I get another error that reads:
>
> Unknown option: no-gpg
>
> The man page for sa-update also doesn’t list that option anywhere…

It does list --nogpg.