Posted to community@apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <je...@apache.org> on 2008/09/01 12:57:50 UTC

Re: Open Expo ZürichBooth [Re: Call for Participation for OpenExpo 2008 ...]

On 23.08.2008 13:01:33 berndf wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> > On 22.08.2008 08:57:05 Henri Yandell wrote:
> >> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 11:38 PM, berndf <be...@apache.org> wrote:
<snip/>
> >> I'd also be tempted to have a sign-in sheet/poster/something for
> >> Apache people who show up. If you're an Apache committer, put your
> >> name here.
> >
> > I'll prepare that. Sounds like fun!
>
> +1

I've prepared it.

> Great, if you need any more help, just let me know.

I've designed a proposal for the main booth poster (size A2, done in
Inkscape). I'd appreciate some feedback:
http://people.apache.org/~jeremias/asf/

I'm open for additional ideas on the design. Another thing I'm thinking
about doing is a A4-sized brochure (3-fold) with some basic information
about the ASF: basic values, conferences, sponsoring information, maybe
a project list... I want to do it at least in English but a German
version would also be a good idea since the majority of visitor will be
german-speaking. Bernd, if you want to take a stab at this, you're
welcome. I thought about doing this in Scribus.

<snip/>

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Open Expo Zürich Booth [Re: Call for Participation for OpenExpo 2008 ...]

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Jeremias,

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 9:36 PM, Jeremias Maerki <je...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...Actually, I prefer the picture I chose because IMO it better reflects
> what happens at ApacheCon (Discussions, Notebooks, Hacking...). The
> people picture doesn't have so much to do with ApacheCon. Plus to most
> people reading this brochure, the people on the picture will be
> strangers...

Fair enough.

I might have access to a color laser printer on Tuesday, if that
happens I'll let you know by Tuesday noon. If that doesn't work out,
there should be a way to reimburse you for printing costs if you keep
the receipts.

See you next week!
-Bertrand

Re: Open Expo ZürichBooth [Re: Call for Participation for OpenExpo 2008 ...]

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <je...@apache.org>.
On 18.09.2008 17:42:24 Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Hi Jeremias,
>
> > ...PDF: http://people.apache.org/~jeremias/asf/asf-brochure-en-up.pdf...
>
> Great stuff! Sorry to answer late, I finally found some time to have a
> closer look, here are some suggestions.
>
> It says nothing about the board, maybe just "9 volunteer directors" in
> "numbers" would do.

Hehe. Added now.

> In "projects", it might be good to mention incubating ones, suggest
> "plus a number of incubating projects (incubator.apache.org)".

Good idea. There was still some space available at the bottom.

> AFAIK ApacheCon Amsterdam 2009 is planned for March 23-27.

Thanks, Lars already gave me that date.

> Maybe the picture at
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/twleung/2011802787/in/set-72157603145226237/
> would look better? IIUC it's "all rights reserved" so I guess Ted
> Leung would have to authorize its use.

Actually, I prefer the picture I chose because IMO it better reflects
what happens at ApacheCon (Discussions, Notebooks, Hacking...). The
people picture doesn't have so much to do with ApacheCon. Plus to most
people reading this brochure, the people on the picture will be
strangers.

> I find the sponsorship part a bit too detailed compared to the rest,
> here's an alternate suggestion:
>
> **
> The ASF Sponsorship Program is the official avenue for substantial,
> non-directed monetary contributions to the ASF. It is the closest and
> most direct method for a corporation or individual to support the ASF.
> In return, ASF will make official acknowledgement and thanks for the
> donation via public relations involvement (as appropriate according to
> one of four sponsorship levels), sponsor logos, etc.
>
> More details can be found at www.apache.org/foundation, or by
> contacting fundraising@apache.org.
> **

You're right. Let's try it this way. I've trimmed the German version a
bit, too.

> Thanks for your work!
>
> Once you're done, I'd suggest informing prc@apache.org of this flyer,
> so that others can reuse it as needed.

Already done earlier today.

Thanks, Bertrand. See you next week.

BTW, I've uploaded new versions.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Open Expo ZürichBooth [Re: Call for Participation for OpenExpo 2008 ...]

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <je...@apache.org>.
On 17.09.2008 17:18:41 sebb wrote:
> On 17/09/2008, Jeremias Maerki <je...@apache.org> wrote:
> > I had the flu and was quite busy otherwise lately, but finally I have a
> >  first version of the ASF brochure which I'd like some feedback on (and
> >  pointers to any typos I may have made). I've had to come up with some
> >  text on my own to fit everything in the cramped space. Since I'm not
> >  natively English speaking, there's a good chance that there's some
> >  suboptimal text in places. Other text I have copied from our website.
> >  I'm open for any comments. The goal is to have it ready by the end of
> >  the week so there's still a chance to print a few sheets for OpenExpo
> >  next week.
> >

> Looks generally very good. Lots of useful information in a concise form.

Thanks for taking a look, Sebastian!

> A minor nit:
>
> "There are four sponsorship levels, defined
> by donation and in-return benefits of sponsorship."
>
> doesn't read well IMO - it's not immediately obvious what "in-return" means.

Hmm, this is from our website. I'm not sure how best to rephrase this. I
guess I need help here.
http://apache.org/foundation/sponsorship.html

> ===
>
> I found the hyphenation some-
> what dis-
> tracting.
>
> Would it be possible to see if the layout will still work if
> hyphenation is disabled?
>
> Or at least restricted to instances where at least 4 or so characters
> remain in each part of the word?

Good idea. I've set it to 4 characters. Looks better now without
introducing too many bigger spaces.

> >  I ended up doing this in XSL with FOP. Sadly, Scribus only got in my way
> >  but FOP was very cooperative. ;-)
> >
> >  PDF: http://people.apache.org/~jeremias/asf/asf-brochure-en-up.pdf
> >  XML Source: http://people.apache.org/~jeremias/asf/asf-brochure-en.xml
> >
> >  BTW, does anybody who is planning to come to OpenExpo on Wednesday have
> >  access to a decent color laser that he/she could print the brochures on
> >  once the thing is ready? I assume we probably don't need more than 30-40
> >  pieces (although I can always be wrong about that).
> >
> >  On 02.09.2008 08:49:31 berndf wrote:
> >  <snip/>

> >  > > about doing is a A4-sized brochure (3-fold) with some basic information
> >  > > about the ASF: basic values, conferences, sponsoring information, maybe
> >  > > a project list... I want to do it at least in English but a German
> >  > > version would also be a good idea since the majority of visitor will be
> >  > > german-speaking. Bernd, if you want to take a stab at this, you're
> >  > > welcome. I thought about doing this in Scribus.
> >  > >
> >  >
> >  > Yes, great idea. I could do the translation to German, no problem.
> >  >
> >  >    Bernd
> >

> > Thanks!
> >
> > Jeremias Maerki

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Open Expo ZürichBooth [Re: Call for Participation for OpenExpo 2008 ...]

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <je...@apache.org>.
Thanks, Bernd. Also many thanks for the German translation. I've had to
trim it a bit since German generally takes a few more characters. The
new PDFs are uploaded at: http://people.apache.org/~jeremias/asf/

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Open Expo Zürich Booth [Re: Call for Participation for OpenExpo 2008 ...]

Posted by berndf <be...@apache.org>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> Yeah, right. "run" is probably the wrong word. I've changed it to "has"
> for the moment for the lack of a better phrasing. I don't think we need
> to explain in such a brochure what the arrangements between the ASF and
> the producer are. It's "our conference" at any rate. That's what I like
> to express there. I'll gladly improve further if anyone has a proposal.
> Thanks, Filip!
>
> Bernd, would you still be available to create a German translation of
> the brochure? I know it's on short notice by now. You could simply make
> a copy of http://people.apache.org/~jeremias/asf/asf-brochure-en.xml and
> I can publish the stylesheets and resources to produce the PDF.
> Otherwise, I'll give it a try tomorrow or during the weekend.

I'm on it right now...

   Bernd

Re: Open Expo Zürich Booth [Re: Call for Participation for OpenExpo 2008 ...]

Posted by berndf <be...@apache.org>.
There is typo in

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <je...@apache.org>.
Yeah, right. "run" is probably the wrong word. I've changed it to "has"
for the moment for the lack of a better phrasing. I don't think we need
to explain in such a brochure what the arrangements between the ASF and
the producer are. It's "our conference" at any rate. That's what I like
to express there. I'll gladly improve further if anyone has a proposal.
Thanks, Filip!

Bernd, would you still be available to create a German translation of
the brochure? I know it's on short notice by now. You could simply make
a copy of http://people.apache.org/~jeremias/asf/asf-brochure-en.xml and
I can publish the stylesheets and resources to produce the PDF.
Otherwise, I'll give it a try tomorrow or during the weekend.

On 18.09.2008 01:32:58 Filip at Apache wrote:
> great looking brochure. the one thing I would change, is the ApacheCon
> piece, the ASF doesn't run the ApacheCon.
> hopefully someone from the ApacheCon committee can fill in how we select
> a vendor for ApacheCon
>
> Filip
>
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> > I had the flu and was quite busy otherwise lately, but finally I have a
> > first version of the ASF brochure which I'd like some feedback on (and
> > pointers to any typos I may have made). I've had to come up with some
> > text on my own to fit everything in the cramped space. Since I'm not
> > natively English speaking, there's a good chance that there's some
> > suboptimal text in places. Other text I have copied from our website.
> > I'm open for any comments. The goal is to have it ready by the end of
> > the week so there's still a chance to print a few sheets for OpenExpo
> > next week.
> >
> > I ended up doing this in XSL with FOP. Sadly, Scribus only got in my way
> > but FOP was very cooperative. ;-)
> >
> > PDF: http://people.apache.org/~jeremias/asf/asf-brochure-en-up.pdf
> > XML Source: http://people.apache.org/~jeremias/asf/asf-brochure-en.xml
> >
> > BTW, does anybody who is planning to come to OpenExpo on Wednesday have
> > access to a decent color laser that he/she could print the brochures on
> > once the thing is ready? I assume we probably don't need more than 30-40
> > pieces (although I can always be wrong about that).
> >
> > On 02.09.2008 08:49:31 berndf wrote:
> > <snip/>

> >> Yes, great idea. I could do the translation to German, no problem.
> >>
> >>    Bernd
> >>

> > Thanks!
> > Jeremias Maerki

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Open Expo Zürich Booth [Re: Call for Participation for OpenExpo 2008 ...]

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Filip at Apache <fh...@apache.org>.

Posted by berndf <be...@apache.org>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> I had the flu and was quite busy otherwise lately, but finally I have a
> first version of the ASF brochure which I'd like some feedback on (and
> pointers to any typos I may have made). I've had to come up with some
> text on my own to fit everything in the cramped space. Since I'm not
> natively English speaking, there's a good chance that there's some
> suboptimal text in places. Other text I have copied from our website.
> I'm open for any comments. The goal is to have it ready by the end of
> the week so there's still a chance to print a few sheets for OpenExpo
> next week.
>
> I ended up doing this in XSL with FOP. Sadly, Scribus only got in my way
> but FOP was very cooperative. ;-)
>
> PDF: http://people.apache.org/~jeremias/asf/asf-brochure-en-up.pdf
> XML Source: http://people.apache.org/~jeremias/asf/asf-brochure-en.xml
>
> BTW, does anybody who is planning to come to OpenExpo on Wednesday have
> access to a decent color laser that he/she could print the brochures on
> once the thing is ready? I assume we probably don't need more than 30-40
> pieces (although I can always be wrong about that).

If these brochures are based on A4/A5 and if we run out of copies we
could still print more during the show, I presume.

    Bernd

Re: Open Expo Zürich Booth [Re: Call for Participation for OpenExpo 2008 ...]

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Jeremias,

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <je...@apache.org>.
I had the flu and was quite busy otherwise lately, but finally I have a
first version of the ASF brochure which I'd like some feedback on (and
pointers to any typos I may have made). I've had to come up with some
text on my own to fit everything in the cramped space. Since I'm not
natively English speaking, there's a good chance that there's some
suboptimal text in places. Other text I have copied from our website.
I'm open for any comments. The goal is to have it ready by the end of
the week so there's still a chance to print a few sheets for OpenExpo
next week.

I ended up doing this in XSL with FOP. Sadly, Scribus only got in my way
but FOP was very cooperative. ;-)

PDF: http://people.apache.org/~jeremias/asf/asf-brochure-en-up.pdf
XML Source: http://people.apache.org/~jeremias/asf/asf-brochure-en.xml

BTW, does anybody who is planning to come to OpenExpo on Wednesday have
access to a decent color laser that he/she could print the brochures on
once the thing is ready? I assume we probably don't need more than 30-40
pieces (although I can always be wrong about that).

On 02.09.2008 08:49:31 berndf wrote:
<snip/>
> > I'm open for additional ideas on the design. Another thing I'm thinking
> > about doing is a A4-sized brochure (3-fold) with some basic information
> > about the ASF: basic values, conferences, sponsoring information, maybe
> > a project list... I want to do it at least in English but a German
> > version would also be a good idea since the majority of visitor will be
> > german-speaking. Bernd, if you want to take a stab at this, you're
> > welcome. I thought about doing this in Scribus.
> >

> Yes, great idea. I could do the translation to German, no problem.
>
>    Bernd

Thanks!
Jeremias Maerki

Re: Open Expo ZürichBooth [Re: Call for Participation for OpenExpo 2008 ...]

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <je...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the feedback! I've incorporated the suggestions by Lars and David.

On 02.09.2008 01:42:44 Lars Eilebrecht wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>
> > I've designed a proposal for the main booth poster (size A2, done in
> > Inkscape). I'd appreciate some feedback:
> > http://people.apache.org/~jeremias/asf/
>
> Looks nice. My only little complaint would be that it should be
> "HTTP Server" instead of "HTTPD" for the Apache HTTP Server project. :)
>
> ciao...
> --
> Lars Eilebrecht
> lars@eilebrecht.net

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Open Expo Zürich Booth [Re: Call for Participation for OpenExpo 2008 ...]

Posted by Lars Eilebrecht <la...@eilebrecht.net>.

Posted by berndf <be...@apache.org>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> On 23.08.2008 13:01:33 berndf wrote:
>> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> <snip/>
>>> I'll prepare that. Sounds like fun!
>> +1
>
> I've prepared it.
>
>> Great, if you need any more help, just let me know.
>
> I've designed a proposal for the main booth poster (size A2, done in
> Inkscape). I'd appreciate some feedback:
> http://people.apache.org/~jeremias/asf/

+1, look great!