Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Bernd Feucht <be...@bernd-feucht.de> on 2003/06/17 23:09:11 UTC

[users@httpd] HostnameLookups do not work with apache 2.0

Though I've set "HostnameLookups On" in my httpd.conf configuration
file, DNS lookups seem not to be performed by the apache-2.0 server: The
"%h" field in the access_log file contains the IP of the client, not the
desired host name. And the REMOTE_HOST environment variable ist not set
for CGI scripts, only REMOTE_ADDR.
Also limiting access to a domain name (e.g. "Allow from mydomain.de")
fails (this should even work independently of the HostnameLookups setting).

I've encountered this problem with the following configurations:

    * Server: Apache/2.0.46 (Unix), compiled by myself on the machine
      where it is running.
    * System: Linux 2.4.18-4GB (SuSE 8.0, gcc 2.95.3) and 2.4.19-4GB
      (SuSE 8.1, gcc 3.2)
    * With my own, highly elaborated httpd.conf, and with the default
      httpd.conf created by "./configure --prefix=/some/path ; make ;
      make install", where I only changed the "HostnameLookups Off" to
      "HostnameLookups On".
    * In the latter case, the compiled in modules are: core.c
      mod_access.c mod_auth.c mod_include.c mod_log_config.c mod_env.c
      mod_setenvif.c prefork.c http_core.c mod_mime.c mod_status.c
      mod_autoindex.c mod_asis.c mod_cgi.c mod_negotiation.c mod_dir.c
      mod_imap.c mod_actions.c mod_userdir.c mod_alias.c mod_so.c (no
      shared modules loaded).
    * I've also tried with the worker MPM instead of prefork.

In all these cases, the problem described above shows up.

In contrast, this problem does not exist for Apache/1.3.27: I've
installed a default Apache/1.3.27 server on the same machine with
"HostnameLookups On", and here everything works properly.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Bernd