Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by John Bazeley <jo...@ecnetwork.co.nz> on 2000/06/21 00:59:56 UTC

xerces-c & vacpp v5 for AIX

Hi,

I'm trying to compile xerces 1.1 and the sample programs using
visual age C++ v.5 (the only C++ compiler I could buy for
AIX from IBM, before anybody mentions CSet 3.6). I'm using the
batch compiler not the incremental GUI one.

If I compile the samples, I get a few multiply defined symbols
e.g. from DOMPrint, I get .ErrorHandler::~ErrorHandler() and
ErrorHandler::~ErrorHandler() defined in DOMPrint.o and
DOMTreeErrorReporter.o.

Now, DOMPrint seems to work OK, but when I compile the sources
I get *hundreds* of multiple defines (as well as 3 undefined:
stricmp, strnicmp, pthread_mutexattr_setkind_np, which I assume
are just missing libs)

I use the basic AIX config (no debug), with added -qnokeyword=bool
since v.5 has a boolean type, and the libs pointing at /usr/vacpp/lib.
Experimenting with -qlanglvl=compat366 doesn't change anything.

Has anyone got the vacpp v5 compiler to compile xerces?
Alternatively, is there any joy to be had going down the aix/gcc
path?

John

Re: xerces-c & vacpp v5 for AIX

Posted by Arundhati Bhowmick <ar...@hyperreal.org>.
The strnicmp and stricmp are defined in
<xerces>/src/util/Compilers/CSetDefs.cpp
These gets included if XML_CSET gets defined properly. You've to provide
mechanism  in AutoSense.hpp for AIX and VA compiler option to identify and
load these definition . That is, identify and define XML_CSET for AIX and
VA option. There are options like XML_IBMVAW32 and XML_IBMVAOS2. You
probably need to incorporate similar thing for AIX and VA and try to
include that file in XercesDefs.hpp under that option.

For pthread_mutexattr_setkind_np you need to add library -lpthread_compat
or the path to this library in your LIBPATH. What version of AIX are you
using. Check out runConfigure where this support is available.

The multiple definition are perhaps warning in VA for AIX. You can either
ignore those or try to locate and add the compiler switch to suppress
this.

Arundhati