Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2000/05/29 22:06:32 UTC

Re: Offer to help on Cocoon documentation

[copied on the list to let everyone know]

pbinkley@library.ualberta.ca wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been working with Cocoon (in a test environment) for a couple of
> months, and I'm very excited about its prospects. I'd like to contribute to
> the project if I can.

Hey, that's great!

> I don't have the technical skills to help with the
> code, but I think I see a need I can help with. The online documentation is
> sometimes difficult to understand, I think because parts of it were written
> by someone whose first language is not English (have I guessed right?)

Yep, I'm italian and English is not my native language.

> There
> are lots of minor grammatical errors, and a few more significant problems
> that make the meaning obscure. Since people always respond better to a text
> that looks more "finished", I think it would be worthwhile to fix these
> little errors, even the cosmetic ones. I have a humanities Ph.D. (medieval
> history, God help me), I've written for publication, and I have experience
> in editing English texts written by non-native-speakers for publication. I
> would be very happy to take on some of the editing work, and perhaps free up
> some of the developers' time for more important things.

You are our saviour, man! I've always wanted somebody like you around,
it would make the project _so_ much better and nicer....

> If this makes sense to you, let me know how we can make this work.

Totally!

Ok, since many people asked to help in the documentation, I'll explain
how the documentation process goes as far as Cocoon1 is concerned:

1) document originals are written in XML using a simple HTML-like DTD we
designed. All the documents are found in the /xdocs/ directory and the
DTDs are found in the /xdocs/DTD directory.

2) to generate the documentation simply type "./build.sh docs" or
".\build.bat docs" at the command line. HTML documents will be generated
in the /build/docs directory.

3) feel free to modify, add, change, comment, expand, cleanup, fix, or
otherwise improve the documentation you find in the xdocs directory. Do
_NOT_ modify or send documentation in HTML since this won't be accepted.

4) if you want to add a page to the documentation, you have to modify
"docs-book.xml" and "site-book.xml" files, which represent the
micro-sitemap for documentation. (learn by example, the book schema is
very easy)

5) provide us with patches or complete documents. Please, run them once
in the build process to validate them and make sure the markup is
correct (this will guarantee the stylesheets won't mess up with them,
XML validation is awesome when used correctly!)

So far so good.

For the Cocoon2 project, I would love to move all the documentation into
Docbook, but don't worry, this can be easily done with XSLT and the
original DTD can be used if you think it's simpler. Anyway, do take a
look at the DocBook DTD to find out the potentials.

Thanks in advance for your help and don't feel pushed: anything help
you'll be able to provide will make us happy.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: Offer to help on Cocoon documentation

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> [...]
> > original DTD can be used if you think it's simpler. Anyway, do take a
> > look at the DocBook DTD to find out the potentials.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your help and don't feel pushed: anything help
> > you'll be able to provide will make us happy.
> >
> > --
> > Stefano Mazzocchi      One must still have chaos in oneself to be
> >                           able to give birth to a dancing star.
> > <st...@apache.org>                             Friedrich Nietzsche
> >  Missed us in Orlando? Make it up with ApacheCON Europe in London!
> > ------------------------- http://ApacheCon.Com ---------------------
>
> Do we post documentation changes/patches/additions here?  I want to get
> involved with beefing up programmer oriented documentation / JavaDoc
> improvements, and (of course) do not have privileges to update CVS
> (or even an account).  How do we incorporate our work?

Send them to me directly and don't worry, if you do it frequently,
you'll soon receive an account, i'm lazy dude :)

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Giacomo Pati wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 03, 2000 at 01:27:21AM +0200, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> > Giacomo Pati wrote:
> > >
> > > As I've been elected as "Master of the Release Keys" ( ~:) you can send
> > > me the diff to approve them (can you produce diffs, ie. cvs diff
> >
> > That would be awesome, thanks.
>
> I think that's my duty :)
>

> > > Ehm, I don't know if Cocoon can build its own docs _now_?
> >
> > No, C2 can't until we implement the offline capability.
>
> I thought this. Is someone working on that? There were patches around I remember.

Paul wrote them, but I wanted to introduce XLink capabilities and to do
this we need semantic information for the rendering and to do this we
need a sitemap stable.

So, first thing is to finalize the sitemap.

www.nwalsh.com

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@simba.pwr.ch>.
On Sat, Jun 03, 2000 at 01:27:21AM +0200, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Giacomo Pati wrote:
> >
> > As I've been elected as "Master of the Release Keys" ( ~:) you can send
> > me the diff to approve them (can you produce diffs, ie. cvs diff
> > >mail_to_me)
>
> That would be awesome, thanks.

I think that's my duty :)

> > Ehm, I don't know if Cocoon can build its own docs _now_?
>
> No, C2 can't until we implement the offline capability.

I thought this. Is someone working on that? There were patches around I remember.

> > A question to Stefano: Do we replace Stylebook with DocBook?
>
> If you mean: replace current DTDs with DocBook, yes, that's the plan.

Yup!

> Why? Well, mostly because:
>
> 1) it's a very complete DTD and documentation is free and very good
> 2) almost all projects are converging to use DocBook for documentation
> 3) we have HTML and FO stylesheets (Norman's)

Where are they. In C2 CVS? Can soneone put them there (just in case we start using them).

> 4) allows us to generate a "book" out of "article"'s (a full PDF, like
> the Xerces folks did)

Cool!

Giacomo

Re: Offer to help on Cocoon documentation

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Hans Ulrich Niedermann wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> writes:
>
> [ reasons why to use DocBook for docs ]
>
> > 3) we have HTML and FO stylesheets (Norman's)
>
> Norm's stylesheet are designed to handle every case you can think of,
> so they are quite complex. The Docbook DTD is not that simple as well
> and has to be parsed for default attribute values. So the XSLT takes
> some time (and memory).
>
> Last time I tried to use Norm's XSL HTML stylesheets, cocoon took
> about 20 seconds (and 20MB) for a HTML page to be delivered - a "book"
> containing little more thana title, a dummy preface comprising 10
> words and a chapter containing 3 dummy FAQs with answers. (Docbk XML
> 3.1.something, Apache 1.3.12, JServ 1.1, Cocoon 1.7.4, K6-2 300MHz,
> 128MB)
>
> So it appears you either have to use offline generation, heavy caching
> or heavy machines for DocBook.

Good points.

What about using SimplifiedDocBook for out documents and then transform
them into GeneralDocBook for printing?

Something like

 simpledocbook -> HTML
 simpledobbook -> generaldocbook -(*)-> fo -> pdf

Why?

Simply because the arrow with the star it's a pain in the ass to
write!!! Typesettings are not an easy job and should not be reinvented
every other day.

Norman, any thought?

> I tried official Docbook XML 4.0 and Norm's newer XSL stylesheets
> about a week ago - but Xerces/Xalan didn't want to parse
> something (stopped somewhere in Line fourthousandsomething). I can't
> remember just now. I can test it again within the next few days - if
> none of you is faster.

We should help where we can there.

Posted by Hans Ulrich Niedermann <ni...@isd.uni-stuttgart.de>.
Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> writes:

[ reasons why to use DocBook for docs ]

> 3) we have HTML and FO stylesheets (Norman's)

Norm's stylesheet are designed to handle every case you can think of,
so they are quite complex. The Docbook DTD is not that simple as well
and has to be parsed for default attribute values. So the XSLT takes
some time (and memory).

Last time I tried to use Norm's XSL HTML stylesheets, cocoon took
about 20 seconds (and 20MB) for a HTML page to be delivered - a "book"
containing little more thana title, a dummy preface comprising 10
words and a chapter containing 3 dummy FAQs with answers. (Docbk XML
3.1.something, Apache 1.3.12, JServ 1.1, Cocoon 1.7.4, K6-2 300MHz,
128MB)

So it appears you either have to use offline generation, heavy caching
or heavy machines for DocBook.

I tried official Docbook XML 4.0 and Norm's newer XSL stylesheets
about a week ago - but Xerces/Xalan didn't want to parse
something (stopped somewhere in Line fourthousandsomething). I can't
remember just now. I can test it again within the next few days - if
none of you is faster.

Uli

Re: Offer to help on Cocoon documentation

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Gerard van Enk wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >
> > Giacomo Pati wrote:

> <snip>

> > > A question to Stefano: Do we replace Stylebook with DocBook?
> >
> > What to you mean? Stylebook is a program, DocBook is a DTD.
> >
> > If you mean: replace current DTDs with DocBook, yes, that's the plan.
> >
> > Why? Well, mostly because:
> >
> > 1) it's a very complete DTD and documentation is free and very good
> > 2) almost all projects are converging to use DocBook for documentation
> > 3) we have HTML and FO stylesheets (Norman's)
> > 4) allows us to generate a "book" out of "article"'s (a full PDF, like
> > the Xerces folks did)
>
> Will there be a stylesheet with which we can convert all the existing
> documentation using the Stylebook dtd's to DocBook dtd?

No, but shouldn't be hard to outline a simple one.

On the other hand, docbook is _more_ structured than our DTDs, so you
can't simply stylesheet it, you have to human edit them in some
locations.... but the first pass will be made with a stylesheet, I
agree.

Posted by Gerard van Enk <ge...@eo.nl>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Giacomo Pati wrote:
> >
> > Pete Farmer wrote:
> > >
> > > [deletion happens]

<snip>

> > > 3) Stefano seems keen to get the stuff in DocBook - meaning
> > > standard DocBook v4.0, which has just been released.
> >
> > A question to Stefano: Do we replace Stylebook with DocBook?
>
> What to you mean? Stylebook is a program, DocBook is a DTD.
>
> If you mean: replace current DTDs with DocBook, yes, that's the plan.
>
> Why? Well, mostly because:
>
> 1) it's a very complete DTD and documentation is free and very good
> 2) almost all projects are converging to use DocBook for documentation
> 3) we have HTML and FO stylesheets (Norman's)
> 4) allows us to generate a "book" out of "article"'s (a full PDF, like
> the Xerces folks did)

Will there be a stylesheet with which we can convert all the existing
documentation using the Stylebook dtd's to DocBook dtd?

Gerard

Re: Offer to help on Cocoon documentation

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Giacomo Pati wrote:

> Pete Farmer wrote:
> >
> > [deletion happens]
> > >
> > > Do we post documentation changes/patches/additions here?  I want to get
> > > involved with beefing up programmer oriented documentation / JavaDoc
> > > improvements, and (of course) do not have privileges to update CVS
> > > (or even an account).  How do we incorporate our work?
> >
> > good point. Is there a process in place? I don't know. I emailed Stefano
> > some changes directly - but felt kind of guilty about it, since he
> > obviously gets so much mail anyway.
>
> As I've been elected as "Master of the Release Keys" ( ~:) you can send
> me the diff to approve them (can you produce diffs, ie. cvs diff
> >mail_to_me)

That would be awesome, thanks.

> > It seems that there are a couple of goals here, which I *think* are
> > prioritized thus:
> >
> > 1) get as much documented as we can - I'm working of a earlier post where
> > Stefano said 'urgently needed are HOWTOs, FAQ, etc' - which I believe
> > still holds true, for the most part.
>
> Yes!
>

> > 2) Cocoon should build its own docs. Which means currently that we focus
> > on .html and .pdf output, using tools from within the project - eg FOP for
> > the .pdf stuff, rather than older sgml tools.
>
> Ehm, I don't know if Cocoon can build its own docs _now_?

No, C2 can't until we implement the offline capability.

> > 3) Stefano seems keen to get the stuff in DocBook - meaning
> > standard DocBook v4.0, which has just been released.
>
> A question to Stefano: Do we replace Stylebook with DocBook?

What to you mean? Stylebook is a program, DocBook is a DTD.

If you mean: replace current DTDs with DocBook, yes, that's the plan.

Why? Well, mostly because:

1) it's a very complete DTD and documentation is free and very good
2) almost all projects are converging to use DocBook for documentation
3) we have HTML and FO stylesheets (Norman's)
4) allows us to generate a "book" out of "article"'s (a full PDF, like
the Xerces folks did)

There are Cons, as well, but I would like to test how a -real- DTD works
for open documentation.

Anyway, as usual, this is my personal opinion, not a project statement.

Posted by Pete Farmer <pe...@ubivis.org>.
On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, Giacomo Pati wrote:

> Pete Farmer wrote:
> >
> > [deletion happens]
> > >
> > > Do we post documentation changes/patches/additions here?  I want to get
> > > involved with beefing up programmer oriented documentation / JavaDoc
> > > improvements, and (of course) do not have privileges to update CVS
> > > (or even an account).  How do we incorporate our work?
> >
> > good point. Is there a process in place? I don't know. I emailed Stefano
> > some changes directly - but felt kind of guilty about it, since he
> > obviously gets so much mail anyway.
>
> As I've been elected as "Master of the Release Keys" ( ~:) you can send
> me the diff to approve them (can you produce diffs, ie. cvs diff
> >mail_to_me)

Cool. Shall I email them to you, or skateboard down to your office to drop
them off? :) (you're in Rapperswil, no?)

> > It seems that there are a couple of goals here, which I *think* are
> > prioritized thus:
> >
> > 1) get as much documented as we can - I'm working of a earlier post where
> > Stefano said 'urgently needed are HOWTOs, FAQ, etc' - which I believe
> > still holds true, for the most part.
>
> Yes!
>

> > 2) Cocoon should build its own docs. Which means currently that we focus
> > on .html and .pdf output, using tools from within the project - eg FOP for
> > the .pdf stuff, rather than older sgml tools.
>
> Ehm, I don't know if Cocoon can build its own docs _now_?

Actually, I don't have this working yet either, but I'm studying all the
parts, and am confident I soon will! ...and that will be most bitchen.

> > 3) Stefano seems keen to get the stuff in DocBook - meaning
> > standard DocBook v4.0, which has just been released.
>
> A question to Stefano: Do we replace Stylebook with DocBook?

I'm not Stefano, but the message I've picked up from a couple different
threads was, yes, at least for Cocoon2. However, I too would like to see
this confirmed. ?

[deletia]

--
   ubi-vis, adv. [volo], where you will, be it where it may, wherever it
   may be, anywhere, everywhere: nemo sit, quin ubivis, quam ibi, ubi

Re: Offer to help on Cocoon documentation

Posted by Giacomo Pati <Gi...@pwr.ch>.
Pete Farmer wrote:

> [deletion happens]
> >
> > Do we post documentation changes/patches/additions here?  I want to get
> > involved with beefing up programmer oriented documentation / JavaDoc
> > improvements, and (of course) do not have privileges to update CVS
> > (or even an account).  How do we incorporate our work?
>
> good point. Is there a process in place? I don't know. I emailed Stefano
> some changes directly - but felt kind of guilty about it, since he
> obviously gets so much mail anyway.

As I've been elected as "Master of the Release Keys" ( ~:) you can send
me the diff to approve them (can you produce diffs, ie. cvs diff
>mail_to_me)

> It seems that there are a couple of goals here, which I *think* are
> prioritized thus:
>
> 1) get as much documented as we can - I'm working of a earlier post where
> Stefano said 'urgently needed are HOWTOs, FAQ, etc' - which I believe
> still holds true, for the most part.

Yes!

> 2) Cocoon should build its own docs. Which means currently that we focus
> on .html and .pdf output, using tools from within the project - eg FOP for
> the .pdf stuff, rather than older sgml tools.

Ehm, I don't know if Cocoon can build its own docs _now_?

> 3) Stefano seems keen to get the stuff in DocBook - meaning
> standard DocBook v4.0, which has just been released.

A question to Stefano: Do we replace Stylebook with DocBook?

> So, to apply the MDSOC paradigm, I'm keen to offer help in the "logic"
> box. Norman Walsh has thoughtfully (and stylishly) created DocBook for us,
> which takes care of the "style" box.
>
> I will happily markup whatever plain-text anyone sends me (or leaves in a
> repository), and, if you're interested, I'll do what I can to get Cocoon
> and FOP humming on your system, although there are dozens of better
> qualified people on this list to help you with this, if need be.
>
> Thanks,
> PEte Farmer

Giacomo

Re: Offer to help on Cocoon documentation

Posted by Pete Farmer <pe...@ubivis.org>.
[deletion happens]

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@infoplanning.com>.
One question below:

Re: eurofootball

Posted by Mark Washeim <es...@canuck.com>.
on 31/5/00 3:01 am, Donald Ball at balld@webslingerZ.com wrote:

> On Tue, 30 May 2000, Mark Washeim wrote:
>
>> ok, damn it, in deference to the italian connection
>>
>> http://195.42.213.219/editorial/toctraverse.xml?lang=it&toc=1
>>
>> lang=es
>> lang=de
>> lang=sv
>> lang=gb
>> lang=it
>>
>> are all availble... working on the skin....
>
> So how are you managing the multilingual content picking? Custom producer
> or sql queries or what?
>
> - donald

Hej,

It's simply request driven. The document management system stores files
(___sv.index.xml, for instance). Rather than set a cookie, I simply
perpetuate the request parameter. I have a version that uses cookies, but,
though it's painful, I actually prefer rewriting the url. . .

--
Mark (Poetaster) Washeim

that await translation.

Quem colorem habet sapientia?'