Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk> on 2009/06/15 10:28:59 UTC

[VOTE ABANDONED] Release Apache Incubator Shindig version 1.0 (RC4)

Hi,
This vote has now been in progress for 14 days and has not received
the necessary number of votes from the IPMC to make a release. There
has been 1 +1 binding vote, 1 +2 non-binding vote and no other votes.
The vote on shindig-dev resulted in 7 +1 binding votes, no +0 or -1's

> Votes so far
> Paul Lindner +1 (non binding)
> Ian Boston +1 (non binding)
    Ant Elder +1 (binding)

Given the period of time that this vote has been open, it is unlikely
that any more votes will be received and therefore I am closing this
vote as abandoned.

------------------------------------

If there is a reason why members of the IPMC have decided not to vote
on this release, I would like to hear them, before spending the time
doing another release and wasting the IPMC's time. I will obviously
fix the confirmed non blocker issues identified by Sebb, but the PPMC
and Shindig community has been wanting and trying to release since
January and the expenditure of more effort appears futile *if* there
is something fundamentally wrong with the release that is not being
said.

Thank you
Ian Boston.

Re: [VOTE ABANDONED] Release Apache Incubator Shindig version 1.0 (RC4)

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 10:28 AM, Ian Boston<ie...@tfd.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> ...If there is a reason why members of the IPMC have decided not to vote on
>> this release, I would like to hear them, before spending the time doing
>> another release and wasting the IPMC's time...
>>

> I can't speak for others, but for me it's been plain lack of time to
> take a serious look at that release - sorry about that.

Same here. Because of lack of time, I have totally neglected my mentor
duties and must apologize for that.

I digged in the source tarball and it looks good to me, not considering
the technical aspects for which I trust the Shindig devs judgement.

There's only one point I'm not sure about, which is the dependency on
the LGPL'ed Hibernate in the samples. Now it's an optional dependency,
that is furthermore only materialized in the JPA configuration and not
in Java code. So I guess it's fine.

So here's my late binding +1.

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Wallez - http://bluxte.net

Re: [VOTE ABANDONED] Release Apache Incubator Shindig version 1.0 (RC4)

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 10:28 AM, Ian Boston<ie...@tfd.co.uk> wrote:

> ...If there is a reason why members of the IPMC have decided not to vote on
> this release, I would like to hear them, before spending the time doing
> another release and wasting the IPMC's time...

I can't speak for others, but for me it's been plain lack of time to
take a serious look at that release - sorry about that.

According to http://incubator.apache.org/shindig/team-list.html
Shindig has seven mentors, which should all be part of the IPMC. By
being mentors, those people agreed to help Shindig progress towards
graduation, if three of them jump in to check and approve releases
you'll be all set.

-Bertrand

Re: [VOTE ABANDONED] Release Apache Incubator Shindig version 1.0 (RC4)

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 09:28 +0100, Ian Boston wrote:
> Hi,
> This vote has now been in progress for 14 days and has not received
> the necessary number of votes from the IPMC to make a release. There
> has been 1 +1 binding vote, 1 +2 non-binding vote and no other votes.
> The vote on shindig-dev resulted in 7 +1 binding votes, no +0 or -1's
>
> > Votes so far
> > Paul Lindner +1 (non binding)
> > Ian Boston +1 (non binding)
>     Ant Elder +1 (binding)
>
> Given the period of time that this vote has been open, it is unlikely
> that any more votes will be received and therefore I am closing this
> vote as abandoned.

I am aware of this vote and planned to get to it by the end of today.
The vote came at a bad time for me - one week overseas with no internet
access followed by moving home, with no cell access nor broadband for a
week. I'm just recovering now. Added to that, I'm not so clued up when
it comes to doing releases at Apache - it isn't one of my strengths.

As I say, I will get to my vote later today.

Personally though, I'd appreciate hearing sebb's opinion, as it was he
who had the most objections to the previous vote.

Upayavira

Re: [VOTE ABANDONED] Release Apache Incubator Shindig version 1.0 (RC4)

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 10:28, Ian Boston<ie...@tfd.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
> This vote has now been in progress for 14 days and has not received the
> necessary number of votes from the IPMC to make a release. There has been 1
> +1 binding vote, 1 +2 non-binding vote and no other votes. The vote on
> shindig-dev resulted in 7 +1 binding votes, no +0 or -1's
>
>> Votes so far
>> Paul Lindner +1 (non binding)
>> Ian Boston +1 (non binding)
>
>   Ant Elder +1 (binding)
>
> Given the period of time that this vote has been open, it is unlikely that
> any more votes will be received and therefore I am closing this vote as
> abandoned.
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> If there is a reason why members of the IPMC have decided not to vote on
> this release, I would like to hear them, before spending the time doing
> another release and wasting the IPMC's time. I will obviously fix the
> confirmed non blocker issues identified by Sebb, but the PPMC and Shindig
> community has been wanting and trying to release since January and the
> expenditure of more effort appears futile *if* there is something
> fundamentally wrong with the release that is not being said.
>
> Thank you
> Ian Boston.

Who are your mentors? There should be at least three of them. They
should be recorded on the Shinding website.

Please look at other podlings website for what has to be recorded in
the "Project Info" section of that your website, namely mentors and
committers.

If you have trouble contacting your mentors or any other question you
cannot resolve within the project, don't hesistate to ask on
general@incubator.apache.org.

HTH,

  Bernd

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
i think everyone has a limited amount of time available and will focus
their energy where they think it matters. For me, that means that I
try to help 'my podlings' to the best of my abilities and only get
involved in others when I have 'nothing better to do'. Your primary
source of support are the Mentors. If they are missing, then bring
that issue to the Incubator PMC to be resolved.

Cheers

Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: [VOTE ABANDONED] Release Apache Incubator Shindig version 1.0 (RC4)

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.