Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Christian Mensing <me...@inorg.chem.ethz.ch> on 2006/11/18 18:11:30 UTC

[users@httpd] pdf: requested range not satisfiable

Hi,
I'm new to this list and fail to shift from apache_1.3.37
to the apache 2.2 branch.
Hardware: SGI IP35 with irix 6.5.30.
httpd-2.2.3 compiles smoothly with gcc-4.1.1 and all works fine,
including php-5.1.6 except for pdfs of more than 1 page.
The access file shows partial load and
error 416 "requested range not satisfiable".
Mozilla, firefox, IE fail to load and get frozen.
Sometimes get the error message displayed.
The problem is the same for all 2.2.x versions.
httpd-2.0.59 works fine.
Not sure if its due to an external library, misconfiguration
or a real bug. Haven't found definite answers in the mailing lists
to similar requests.

Christian Mensing
ETH Zurich

Re: [users@httpd] pdf: requested range not satisfiable

Posted by Christian Mensing <me...@inorg.chem.ethz.ch>.
Morgan Gangwere wrote:
> then its a problem wit hthe reader. try foxit reader.
>
> On 11/18/06, Christian Mensing <me...@inorg.chem.ethz.ch> wrote:

Thank you very much for putting me on the track!

Indeed, the problem is the embedded acrobat(reader) in combination with
Mozilla, Firefox or IE6.0 and apache 2.2.
Opera and IE7.0 work fine. The workaround is to force Firefox users
to use foxit or xpdf or download before viewing which I can not accept.

This seems to have been a thread on pre http-2.0.44 and which was solved
for that series, but happens again since 2.1 (byterange_filter.c ?)

see also report on a similar problem:
http://redarrow.textdrive.com/article/34/troubles-with-serving-pdfs

Thank you for your patience.
Christian Mensing
--
ETH Zürich
Christian Mensing

mensing@inorg.chem.ethz.ch
http://www.solid.ethz.ch/

+41 44 632 2894 Telefon
+41 44 632 1149 Fax

Re: [users@httpd] pdf: requested range not satisfiable

Posted by Morgan Gangwere <0....@gmail.com>.
then its a problem wit hthe reader. try foxit reader.

On 11/18/06, Christian Mensing <me...@inorg.chem.ethz.ch> wrote:
> Morgan Gangwere wrote:
>
> > wait. are you compiling a pdf into httpd or doing a http request for it
> >
> > On 11/18/06, Christian Mensing <me...@inorg.chem.ethz.ch> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >> I'm new to this list and fail to shift from apache_1.3.37
> >> to the apache 2.2 branch.
> >> Hardware: SGI IP35 with irix 6.5.30.
> >> httpd-2.2.3 compiles smoothly with gcc-4.1.1 and all works fine,
> >> including php-5.1.6 except for pdfs of more than 1 page.
> >> The access file shows partial load and
> >> error 416 "requested range not satisfiable".
> >> Mozilla, firefox, IE fail to load and get frozen.
> >> Sometimes get the error message displayed.
> >> The problem is the same for all 2.2.x versions.
> >> httpd-2.0.59 works fine.
> >> Not sure if its due to an external library, misconfiguration
> >> or a real bug. Haven't found definite answers in the mailing lists
> >> to similar requests.
> >>
> >> Christian Mensing
> >> ETH Zurich

> Sorry for my expression. The request for pdf files longer than
> 1 page fail with error 416.
>
> Christian Mensing
> ETH Zurich

Morgan gangwere

"Space does not reflect society, it expresses it." -- Castells, M.,
Space of Flows, Space of Places: Materials for a Theory of Urbanism in
the Information Age, in The Cybercities Reader, S. Graham, Editor.
2004, Routledge: London. p. 82-93.

Re: [users@httpd] pdf: requested range not satisfiable

Posted by Christian Mensing <me...@inorg.chem.ethz.ch>.

Posted by Morgan Gangwere <0....@gmail.com>.