Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Violeta Georgieva <mi...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/18 13:14:00 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.47

The proposed Apache Tomcat 7.0.47 release is now available for voting.
This release candidate contains JSR-356 Java WebSocket 1.0 implementation.
Note that use of this functionality requires Java 7.

It can be obtained from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-7/v7.0.47/
The Maven staging repo is:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-192/
The svn tag is:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc7.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_7_0_47/

The proposed 7.0.47 release is:
[ ] Broken - do not release
[ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 7.0.47 Stable

Regards
Violeta

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.47

Posted by Jeanfrancois Arcand <jf...@gmail.com>.
On 2013-10-18 7:14 AM, Violeta Georgieva wrote:
> The proposed 7.0.47 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 7.0.47 Stable

Did we say we will this message as a warning instead of info:

> INFO: JSR 356 WebSocket (Java WebSocket 1.0) support is not available
> when running on Java 6. To suppress this message, run Tomcat on Java
> 7, remove the WebSocket JARs from $CATALINA_HOME/lib or add the
> WebSocketJARs to the tomcat.util.scan.DefaultJarScanner.jarsToSkip
> property in $CATALINA_BASE/conf/catalina.properties. Note that the
> deprecated Tomcat 7 WebSocket API will be available.
Anyway, that's minor. Tested with jdk6/7,
WebSocket/CometProcessor/AsyncContext/jsr356 API.

-- Jeanfrancois

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.47

Posted by Violeta Georgieva <mi...@gmail.com>.
2013/10/18 Violeta Georgieva <mi...@gmail.com>

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 7.0.47 release is now available for voting.
> This release candidate contains JSR-356 Java WebSocket 1.0
implementation. Note that use of this functionality requires Java 7.

> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-7/v7.0.47/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-192/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc7.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_7_0_47/
>
> The proposed 7.0.47 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 7.0.47 Stable

Tested Tomcat in OSGi environment - successful
Basic performance tests - successful

Posted by Keiichi Fujino <kf...@apache.org>.
2013/10/18 Violeta Georgieva <mi...@gmail.com>

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 7.0.47 release is now available for voting.
> This release candidate contains JSR-356 Java WebSocket 1.0 implementation.
> Note that use of this functionality requires Java 7.
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-7/v7.0.47/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-192/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc7.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_7_0_47/
>
> The proposed 7.0.47 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 7.0.47 Stable

+1
Tested on my sample apps (enable session replication).
Works fine.

--
Keiichi.Fujino

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.47

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 18/10/2013 12:14, Violeta Georgieva wrote:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 7.0.47 release is now available for voting.
> This release candidate contains JSR-356 Java WebSocket 1.0 implementation.
> Note that use of this functionality requires Java 7.
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-7/v7.0.47/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-192/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc7.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_7_0_47/
>
> The proposed 7.0.47 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 7.0.47 Stable

All the usual tests passed.

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.47

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
On 18 October 2013 22:14, Violeta Georgieva <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 7.0.47 release is now available for voting.
> This release candidate contains JSR-356 Java WebSocket 1.0 implementation.
> Note that use of this functionality requires Java 7.
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-7/v7.0.47/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-192/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc7.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_7_0_47/
>
> The proposed 7.0.47 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 7.0.47 Stable

Tested the maven plugin and applications

--
Olivier Lamy
Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.47

Posted by Ognjen Blagojevic <og...@gmail.com>.
On 18.10.2013 13:14, Violeta Georgieva wrote:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 7.0.47 release is now available for voting.
> This release candidate contains JSR-356 Java WebSocket 1.0 implementation.
> Note that use of this functionality requires Java 7.
> The proposed 7.0.47 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 7.0.47 Stable

Tested .zip distribution on Windows 7 64-bit:

- Tested SSL/TLS connectivity for BIO, NIO and APR connectors.

- Crawled all links (except /manager, /host-manager and
/examples/async*). No broken links found, except links to JavaDocs.

- Smoke tests of BIO, NIO and APR, with and without TLS, all passed.

-Ognjen

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.47

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Bob,

On 10/24/13 6:40 AM, Bob DeRemer wrote:

> [...]

Violetta has, through no fault of her own, had about 4 votes cancelled
due to them being broken for various reasons. This is her first
opportunity to roll and push a release. Let's let her have a win, here ;)

I'm sure 7.0.48 will be along quite soon. Meanwhile, you can use trunk
which is fairly stable.

-chris

RE: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.47

Posted by Bob DeRemer <bo...@thingworx.com>.

Thx, bob

Posted by Violeta Georgieva <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 18.10.2013 13:14, Violeta Georgieva wrote:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 7.0.47 release is now available for voting.
> This release candidate contains JSR-356 Java WebSocket 1.0 implementation.
> Note that use of this functionality requires Java 7.
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-7/v7.0.47/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-192/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc7.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_7_0_47/
>
> The proposed 7.0.47 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 7.0.47 Stable

+1 to release.

Details:

- MD5 OK
- signatures OK
- key in KEYS file
- gz and zip for src and bin consistent
- src completely consistent with svn tag, except
  file
res/META-INF/tomcat7-websocket.jar/services/javax.servlet.ServletContainerInitializer
which has
  Unix line ends in svn, but DOS in tar.gz src download
  (Not a show-stopper)
- builds fine
  - warning about unsafe or unchecked operations in:
    - o.a.t.dbcp (many)
    - javax/el/ResourceBundleELResolver.java:109 (old)
  Much less than for 7.0.42
- build result looks consistent with binaries
- no checkstyle complaints
- some Javadoc warnings
  - in jdbc-pool: DataSourceProxy.java:544: Tag @link: can't
    find getParentLogger in javax.sql.DataSource (not a new one)
  - in AprEndpoint @returns is an unknown tag (fixed in r1533732)
  - in o.a.t.websocket: lots of errors, probably due to the need of
    Java 7 for this part, but javadoc running under Java 6. Maybe
    we can use java.7.home to run javadoc if set. (new)
- Unit tests:
  - error in org.apache.catalina.websocket.TestWebSocket for BIO
  - failure in
org.apache.catalina.loader.TestWebappClassLoaderMemoryLeak for APR
  - Details see below
- JMX MBean-Comparison only expected delta:
  - some servlet class names moved from websocket to websocket.tc7
  - ProtocolHandler MBean new attribute "connectionCount"
    (previously only available in ThreadPool)
  - ProtocolHandler MBean for http new attribute maxExtensionSize
  - OperatingSystem MBean OpenFileDescriptorCount down from 61 to 57,
    System Property ...TldConfig.jarsToSkip now contains
    tomcat7-websocket.jar, ...DefaultJarScanner.jarsToSkip now added
    entries websocket-api.jar, hamcrest*.jar and org.hamcrest*.jar

Build and tests were done using Java 1.6.0_45, java.7.home was pointing
to 1.7.0_45. OS was Solaris 10 Sparc, tcnative was 1.1.29 based on APR
1.4.8 and OpenSSL 1.0.1e (plus a few patches).

- Unit error in org.apache.catalina.websocket.TestWebSocket for BIO

Testcase: testBug53339 took 15.281 sec
        Caused an ERROR
Read timed out
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:152)
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:122)
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:210)
        at
org.apache.catalina.websocket.TestWebSocket$WebSocketClient.readMessage(TestWebSocket.java:456)
        at
org.apache.catalina.websocket.TestWebSocket$WebSocketClient.access$300(TestWebSocket.java:383)
        at
org.apache.catalina.websocket.TestWebSocket.testBug53339(TestWebSocket.java:327)

Maybe related to:

Oct 18, 2013 10:07:06 PM org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol stop
INFO: Stopping ProtocolHandler ["http-bio-127.0.0.1-auto-2-51242"]
Oct 18, 2013 10:07:11 PM org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AbstractEndpoint
shutdownExecutor
WARNING: The executor associated with thread pool
[http-bio-127.0.0.1-auto-2] has not fully shutdown. Some application
threads may still be running.
Oct 18, 2013 10:07:11 PM org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol destroy
INFO: Destroying ProtocolHandler ["http-bio-127.0.0.1-auto-2-51242"]
Oct 18, 2013 10:07:11 PM org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol init

- Unit test failure in
org.apache.catalina.loader.TestWebappClassLoaderMemoryLeak for APR

Testcase: testTimerThreadLeak took 4.611 sec
        FAILED
Timer thread still running
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Timer thread still running
        at
org.apache.catalina.loader.TestWebappClassLoaderMemoryLeak.testTimerThreadLeak(TestWebappClassLoaderMemoryLeak.java:72)

Unit test warnings (very similar to 7.0.42, but the two ones that were
new in 42 are gone again in 47, one new one in 47, numbers also higher
for tribes):

- org.apache.catalina.deploy.TestWebXmlOrdering
  - BIO, NIO and APR: [main]
org.apache.catalina.deploy.WebXml.orderWebFragments Used a wrong
fragment name z at web.xml absolute-ordering tag!

- org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TestCustomSsl
  - BIO twice "Exception getting SSL attributes"
    in org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor actionInternal
    exception is:
    javax.net.ssl.SSLProtocolException: handshake alert: no_certificate
  - NIO twice "WARNING: Exception re-negotiating SSL connection"
    in org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProcessor actionInternal

- WARNING: The executor associated with thread pool [...] has not fully
shutdown. Some application threads may still be running. (new)
  - Only for BIO, once in org.apache.catalina.connector.TestInputBuffer,
    once in org.apache.catalina.websocket.TestWebSocket

- tribes: several warnings (47), numbers much higher (+28) than 7.0.42.
  Same types of messages. Most new ones are of type:
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.NonBlockingCoordinator.sendElectionMsgToNextInline
Unable to send election message to: ...

Unit test SEVERE messages: 242 total (+21).

Most of those are of type "Servlet.service() for servlet ... threw
exception" (140 times, +3).

Second biggest block (unchanged):

Count    message
  27     [junit] TIMESTAMP SEVERE [main]
org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.startElement Begin event threw
exception
   3     [junit] TIMESTAMP SEVERE [main]
org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.endElement End event threw
exception

Third biggest block is 33 (+14) messages from the mem leak detection
during context unload:
  - 18 times (+8): The web application [...] appears to have started a
thread named [...] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to
create a memory leak.
  - 6 times (all new): The web application [] is still processing a
request that has yet to finish. This is very likely to create a memory
leak. You can control the time allowed for requests to finish by using
the unloadDelay attribute of the standard Context implementation.
  - it happens twice in org.apache.catalina.connector.TestMaxConnections
    for BIO, NIO and APR

"Exception" in output of unit tests: 231 times (+12).

Top exception counts (unchanged):

  75     [junit] javax.servlet.ServletException: Opps.
   9     [junit] java.io.IOException: Invalid CRLF, no CR character
encountered.
   9     [junit]  java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: <ordering> element
is limited to 1 occurrence
   9     [junit]  java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: <name> element is
limited to 1 occurrence
   9     [junit]  java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:
<absolute-ordering> element is limited to 1 occurrence
   6     [junit] org.apache.jasper.JasperException:
/bug49nnn/bug49297DuplicateAttr.jsp (line: 21, column: 46) Attribute
qualified names must be unique within an element
   6 (new) [junit] Exception in thread "WebSocketClient-AsyncIO-NNN"
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Writing not allowed due to timeout or
cancellation (twice each for BIO, NIO and APR in
org.apache.tomcat.websocket.TestWsWebSocketContainer)

The other new ones are:

5 org.apache.catalina.tribes.ChannelException: Sender not connected.; No
faulty members identified.
resulting in
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.NonBlockingCoordinator.messageReceived
Error processing coordination message. Could be fatal.

3 java.lang.RuntimeException
All in org.apache.tomcat.websocket.pojo.TestPojoEndpointBase, once
for BIO, NIO and APR, leading to:
SEVERE: No error handling configured for
[org.apache.tomcat.websocket.pojo.TestPojoEndpointBase$Bug54716] and the
following error occurred

3 java.io.IOException: maxExtensionSize exceeded
All in org.apache.coyote.http11.filters.TestChunkedInputFilter, once
for BIO, NIO and APR, leading to:
SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet [servlet] in context with path []
threw exception

1 java.io.IOException: Unexpected error [70,014] reading data from the
APR/native socket [10,110,520].
(once in org.apache.catalina.websocket.TestWebSocket for APR leading to
SEVERE: No error handling configured for
[org.apache.tomcat.websocket.TesterEchoServer$Basic] and the following
error occurred)

I'm not claiming that any of the SEVERE or Exception messages are
important. Total numbers of warnings, SEVERE and exceptions are
about the same than for previous releases.

Regards,

Rainer