Posted to dev@ambari.apache.org by Donald Hansen <do...@hansenfamily.us> on 2015/05/01 00:36:57 UTC

Re: Bypass software install on hosts

I'm wondering if I could maybe do something to the Ambari Agent code to
skip the actual install and setup process and make it think that finished
and report back to the server that it completed.

Any thoughts on this? A more elegant solution would be cool, just trying to
do a POC first.

Posted by Sumit Mohanty <sm...@hortonworks.com>.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMBARI-10386 tracked a similar issue. The idea is to introduce a flag that tells the agent that host is prepped and thus skip some operations. The current implementation is a all or nothing approach. Based on what you say, we need levels of host/cluster readiness. PACKAGES_INSTALLED = True means skip installing binaries. FILESYSTEM_PREPPED means that there is an externally populated HCFS thus Ambari should not try to copy jars etc.

I am happy to add a multiple level of support for host readiness as I think that will be a good enhancement to the feature as it stands today.

-Sumit

Posted by Donald Hansen <do...@hansenfamily.us>.
Thanks. I think what Sumit mentioned is what I'm looking for. I can't go
into all the details but the basics is that we have a large number of nodes
and other processes will be managing resources and determining what nodes
something like yarn will be running on. Yarn could be running on node A one
day and node B the next. We want to use Ambari to monitor our cluster
health without it being a provisioning tool.

So, my thinking was that I could delete the cluster and recreate the
cluster using the api and blueprints. I would have a script that would
update the blueprint json data to reflect the new hostname. As long as we
had node A and node B already setup with Yarn installed (not running, just
installed and ready to be used), Ambari could setup the cluster pretty
quickly.

This might not work well or be very efficient. Just trying some different
ideas.

Posted by Ravi Mutyala <rm...@gmail.com>.