Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Clay McDonald <st...@bateswhite.com> on 2012/08/08 19:23:19 UTC

Contributing to the Hadoop project

Hello all,  I would like to know how I can assist with the Hadoop project? It doesn't matter in what capacity. I just want to help out with whatever is needed.

Thanks,

Clay McDonald

Re: Contributing to the Hadoop project

Posted by Andy Isaacson <ad...@cloudera.com>.
On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 5:31 PM, Deepak Kapoor <de...@kapoor.net.au> wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> On the wiki page (http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToContribute) it says
> that most development is done in Trunk.
>
> Let's say a bug is found in 2.0.0-alpha-rc1. Should it then be fixed in
> 2.0.0-alpha-rc1? How is this fix then applied to Trunk?

Patches get applied to trunk first, then if they're needed for a
specific release branch they'll get applied to that branch as well. In
the very unusual case that a bug is only in the release branch then
whoever is managing the release would take care of applying the patch
to the branch.

As a beginning contributor I (and you, I hope!) just post patches to a
Jira and, once the patch is in good enough shape with reviews and
passes Jenkins, a committer takes care of the rest of the process.

-andy

Re: Contributing to the Hadoop project

Posted by Deepak Kapoor <de...@kapoor.net.au>.
Hi Steve,

On the wiki page (http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToContribute) it says
that most development is done in Trunk.

Let's say a bug is found in 2.0.0-alpha-rc1. Should it then be fixed in
2.0.0-alpha-rc1? How is this fix then applied to Trunk?

Regards,

Deepak

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.