Posted to dev@pig.apache.org by Jie Li <ji...@cs.duke.edu> on 2011/11/29 20:38:08 UTC

Running TPC-H on Pig

Hello everyone,

As people are usually more concerned about the performance, we need more
benchmarks to identify the bottleneck of the Pig's performance. For a class
project we develop a whole set of Pig scripts for TPC-H. Though Pig was not
designed for this RDBMS benchmark, it does support most of the relation
operators like join and aggregation, which can be optimized based on this
benchmark. Besides that, we can also demonstrate how to write efficient pig
scripts by making full use of Pig Latin's features.

Here are what we did:
1) write correct pig scripts for TPC-H by verifying them on 1GB data.
2) demonstrate the flexibility of Pig Latin by using COGROUP operator to
implement join.
3) show how to optimize the join by slightly reordering or using replicated
join. We think pig should be able to have more heuristic optimization for
the join, such as evaluating the smaller join first, using replicated join
for small tables, and putting the larger table on the right side of the
hash join.
4) identify the poor performance of aggregation. Pig doesn't yet support
hash-based aggregation so it's extremely slow for aggregation. Good to know
that Pig is just about to support it:)

As TPC-H is well-known, a good benchmark result can help change people's
impression that Pig is slow. Actually we compare Pig and Hive and find that
Pig is not necessarily slower than Hive. I wonder if we can create a jira
for this project.

Thanks,
Jie Li
PhD Candidate of Computer Science
Duke University

Re: Running TPC-H on Pig

Posted by Jie Li <ji...@cs.duke.edu>.
Yeah we already have some results but not so good, so we are currently
rewriting some of the scripts especially rewriting the joins. Once we can a
good result we will publish it.

Jie

Re: Running TPC-H on Pig

Posted by Jonathan Coveney <jc...@gmail.com>.

Re: Running TPC-H on Pig

Posted by Jie Li <ji...@cs.duke.edu>.
Yeah sure. We are just about to post them.

Jie

Re: Running TPC-H on Pig

Posted by Renato Marroquín Mogrovejo <re...@gmail.com>.
My bad I was talking about TPC-DS (:
I used the TPC-DS to test Pig Joins, but I didn't actually think on
comparing it with Hive because Hive already has on going projects for
its cost based optimizer, and I thought it wouldn't be a fair
comparison. But I guess your work is related to the starfish system
right?
Anyways, I hope to see your benchmark.

Renato M.

Re: Running TPC-H on Pig