Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Christophe Thiebaud <ct...@stylo.it> on 2000/09/20 15:57:29 UTC

why struts ?

I was wondering wether or not there is a rationale behind the name struts.

Has it anything to do with the famous quote from Macbeth ?

"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more; it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing."

Christophe

Re: why struts ?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
That's a good quote :-), but wasn't really the origin of the term.

I was originally toying with the concept of building a "framework", and the
first thing contractors do when building a bridge or a house is put up the
supporting infrastructure that lets you build what you really want to build,
and stays out of the way other than that.  In addition, "struts" are often
constructed inside structures like an airplane wing -- invisible but vital.

Finally, the "s" on the end signifies that Struts is a toolkit from which you
can use what you need.  I didn't want to create a framework that required you
to use all of it, although the parts will certainly work with more synergy
together than separately.

So I am using Struts as a noun, not a verb :-)

Craig

--
                                    Applications to Tomcat