Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Igor Chudov <ig...@chudov.com> on 2012/10/17 19:24:29 UTC

I thought this message was rather spammy

I receive a variety of spams with the From: field containing a
business solicitation in the name tag. They seem to have quite a bit
in common and I wonder why my SA does not catch them.

Here's the spam message: http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/spam013.txt

Here are my results of running spamassassin:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/spam013.trace.txt

Any idea what I am missing?

Re: I thought this message was rather spammy

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Wed, 17 Oct 2012, Alexandre Boyer wrote:

> Right, but you have the content on the other link:
>
> http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/spam013.trace.txt

Ah, didn't look at that.

Something is screwy here. I would think that would hit the low-contrast
text HTML rules...

   The United States has become a place where entertainers and
   professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance.
                                         -- Maureen Johnson Smith Long
  139 days since the first successful private support mission to ISS (SpaceX)

Re: I thought this message was rather spammy

Posted by Igor Chudov <ig...@chudov.com>.
Here's my version

==>spamassassin -V
SpamAssassin version 3.3.1
  running on Perl version 5.10.1

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Wed, 17 Oct 2012, Ned Slider wrote:

> On 17/10/12 18:51, Alexandre Boyer wrote:
>>  Right, but you have the content on the other link:
>>
>>  http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/spam013.trace.txt
>>

>>  It scores 5.7 and should be blocked.
>>

> The message scored 2.3 when it was originally received.
>
> It only scored 5.7 when it was later reevaluated by SA at which point a URI
> is now hitting 2 URIBLs and thus increasing the score.

It hit those two BLs in that test.

> Greylisting can often help here as even though it won't block the message it
> can delay the message long enough for offending IPs or URIs to get added to
> blacklists.

Agreed.

Posted by Alexandre Boyer <bi...@gmail.com>.
On 12-10-17 02:32 PM, Ned Slider wrote:
> On 17/10/12 18:51, Alexandre Boyer wrote:
>> Right, but you have the content on the other link:
>>
>> http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/spam013.trace.txt
>>

>> It scores 5.7 and should be blocked.
>>

> The message scored 2.3 when it was originally received.
>
> It only scored 5.7 when it was later reevaluated by SA at which point
> a URI is now hitting 2 URIBLs and thus increasing the score. These
> URIs have obviously just been added to the blacklists since this spam
> run started.
>
> Greylisting can often help here as even though it won't block the
> message it can delay the message long enough for offending IPs or URIs
> to get added to blacklists.

Totally agree with this analyze. :-)

Greylisting is still a powerful anti-spam tool and easy to set-up.

Alex, from prypiat.
Yes, I recycle.

Re: I thought this message was rather spammy

Posted by Ned Slider <ne...@unixmail.co.uk>.

Posted by Alexandre Boyer <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Wed, 17 Oct 2012, Igor Chudov wrote:

> Here's the spam message: http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/spam013.txt

No permissions to view that.

   Perfect Security and Absolute Safety are unattainable; beware
   those who would try to sell them to you, regardless of the cost,
   for they are trying to sell you your own slavery.

Posted by Igor Chudov <ig...@chudov.com>.
Sorry, I fixed it.