Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason Voegele <ja...@jvoegele.com> on 2009/06/24 14:55:34 UTC

Concurrent access to local repository by multiple processes

I am wondering if it is now safe to have multiple Maven 2.1.0 processes
running concurrently using the same local repository.  I know that with
older versions of Maven this was certainly not safe, but reading
comments on some JIRA issues leads me to believe that this may have been
addressed with Maven 2.1.0.  Can anyone comment with any amount of
certainty?

--
Jason Voegele
An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.

Re: Concurrent access to local repository by multiple processes

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Jason Voegele<ja...@jvoegele.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the response.  I guess I'll try my hand at using a lock file or
> something similar in my wrapper scripts.  I'm thinking that this algorithm
> might work:

You might look at Don Brown's work on parallel resolution of artifacts
[1], which must have some kind of locking and is in 2.1.0.  Perhaps
that could be extended to work for other things that are accessing the
repo.

[1] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-3379

--
Wendy

Re: Concurrent access to local repository by multiple processes

Posted by Jason Voegele <ja...@jvoegele.com>.
Brian Fox wrote:
> Almost certainly no. The 2.1 you saw mentioned most likely refers to
> the old 2.1 that is now 3.0. FWIW, I don't believe this has been or
> will be addressed in 3.0.0 which is focused on 2.x compatibility.
> http://www.sonatype.com/people/2008/11/a-visual-history-of-maven-2/

Thanks for the response.  I guess I'll try my hand at using a lock file
or something similar in my wrapper scripts.  I'm thinking that this
algorithm might work:

sleep_until_granted_lock
mvn dependency:go-offline
release_lock