Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Julian Thomas <jt...@jt-mj.net> on 2014/11/11 00:53:24 UTC

spreadsheet transpose

Is there a quick way to transpose a spreadsheet so the columns become rows and vice versa?

I want to get one column as a csv file, and if I do the transposition and then save as CSV I should be home free.

Otherwise is there a way to export a column as CSV?

tnx

 —
jt - jt@jt-mj.net

A computer is like an Old Testament god, with a lot of rules and no mercy. -Joseph Campbell|

Re: spreadsheet transpose

Posted by "Anthony J. Rudgers" <an...@att.net>.
I've always rather thought a computer to be feminine--being a most demanding
mistress who requires you give her a lot, lot of your time, but who rewards
you with what you want from time to time.

Best wishes,
Anthony J. Rudgers
Orlando, FL: Posted Nov. 10, 2014; 7:16 pm

Re: spreadsheet transpose

Posted by johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su>.
On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 02:32:19 -0000, Julian Thomas <jt...@jt-mj.net> wrote:

> I did search AOO help for both transpose and rotate - no useful results.

after i had selected 'openoffice calc' from the drop-down list in the upper-left corner of the help window, a search for 'transpose' retrieved the following, among others:

Rotating Tables (Transposing)
In OpenOffice Calc, there is a way to "rotate" a spreadsheet so that rows become columns and columns become rows.
1. Select the cell range that you want to transpose.
2. Choose Edit - Cut.
3. Click the cell that is to be the top left cell in the result.
4. Choose Edit - Paste Special.
5. In the dialog, mark Paste all and Transpose.
If you now click OK the columns and rows are transposed.
Related Topics
Paste Special

Re: spreadsheet transpose

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.
On 11-11-2014 17:06, Josef Latt wrote:

> Am 11.11.2014 um 03:32 schrieb Julian Thomas:
>>> On Nov 10, 2014, at 19:24, Dan Lewis <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Did you look in Help to get your information? In LibreOffice I searched help for transpose tables. AOO should have a similar entry in its Help.
>> I did search AOO help for both transpose and rotate - no useful results.
> Did you loss your eyes?
You only can lose what you had.

Re: spreadsheet transpose

Posted by Josef Latt <Jo...@gmx.net>.

Re: spreadsheet transpose

Posted by Julian Thomas <jt...@jt-mj.net>.

jt - http://jt-mj.net

Re: spreadsheet transpose

Posted by Dan Lewis <el...@gmail.com>.
On 11/10/2014 06:53 PM, Julian Thomas wrote:
> Is there a quick way to transpose a spreadsheet so the columns become rows and vice versa?
>
> I want to get one column as a csv file, and if I do the transposition and then save as CSV I should be home free.
>
> Otherwise is there a way to export a column as CSV?
>
> tnx
>

>   —
> jt - jt@jt-mj.net
>
> A computer is like an Old Testament god, with a lot of rules and no mercy. -Joseph Campbell|
Did you look in Help to get your information? In LibreOffice I searched
help for transpose tables. AOO should have a similar entry in its Help.

Dan

Re: spreadsheet transpose

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 18:53 10/11/2014 -0500, you wrote:
>Is there a quick way to transpose a spreadsheet so the columns
>become rows and vice versa?

Yes.

o Select the relevant range.
o Copy the material.
o Paste the material where you want it, but using Edit | Paste
Special... (or right-click | Paste Special... or Ctrl+Shift+V)
instead of ordinary Paste.
o In the Paste Special dialogue, tick Transpose under Options.

>Otherwise is there a way to export a column as CSV?

Either:
o Delete all unwanted columns, or
o Copy the required column to a new sheet.
o Then save the sheet containing just the required column. (Note that
saving as CSV always saves only a single sheet.)

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker - privately