Posted to dev@sqoop.apache.org by Venkat Ranganathan <vr...@hortonworks.com> on 2016/05/18 18:31:44 UTC

Sqoop branch 1.5.x

Proposal for Sqoop 1.5

We have Sqoop 1.4.x going on which is the production version of Sqoop, with support for ancient versions for Hadoop (from 0.20), Hive 0.7+ and HBase 0.94 among others.

There is  a good amount of  interest in contribution to Sqoop 1 as it is the current production version.  But Sqoop has a few issues that make Hadoop 1.x is causing issues in bringing new features easily into Sqoop 1.x  (for example  getting Phoenix changes into Sqoop and potentially others waiting in  the wings)

Also, we have been using Ant/Ivy based project, which is causing issues with component version management.   We can potentially use a Maven profile based configuration to easily allow multiple component versions to  have more flexibility in builds and packaging and how we publish artifacts

To that end here is what I propose (had a brief discussion with Jarcec last week) in the order of priority

Create a new Sqoop 1.5 branch where we

1.     Deprecate support for Hadoop 1 and older versions of HBase (only support 1.0+) and Hive (only support 1.0+)

2.     Mavenize the project

3.     Clean up the package jumble in the code – only have org.apache.sqoop packages

4.     Bring in all the new features that otherwise are difficult to bring in with older

What should we do with 1.4.x branch?   My initial thought is that we do a 1.4.7 release with what is available and have 1.5.x as the branch to make further changes.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Venkat

Re: Sqoop branch 1.5.x

Posted by Venkat Ranganathan <vr...@hortonworks.com>.
Thanks for taking this up Sowmya.

Anybody interested in mentoring  Sowmya as a community RM that we have been doing for a few releases.   I can volunteer if needed

Thanks

Venkat

On 8/23/16, 1:57 PM, "Sowmya Ramesh" <sr...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

    Hi All,

    I got busy with other stuff and couldn¹t focus on this.
    I would like to resume Sqoop release task.

    As a first step I would like to work on 1.4.7 release with what is
    available.
    Please let me know if you have any concerns.

    Thanks!

Re: Sqoop branch 1.5.x

Posted by Sowmya Ramesh <sr...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi All,

Re: Sqoop branch 1.5.x

Posted by Attila Szabo <as...@cloudera.com>.
Hi,

--
Best regards,

Attila Szabo
Sotware Engineer

<http://www.cloudera.com>

Re: Sqoop branch 1.5.x

Posted by Venkat Ranganathan <vr...@hortonworks.com>.
Thanks Jarcec.

Re: Sqoop branch 1.5.x

Posted by Jarek Jarcec Cecho <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: Sqoop branch 1.5.x

Posted by Sowmya Ramesh <sr...@hortonworks.com>.
I would like to take up this task.
I will create the sub tasks after the discussion is closed.

Thanks,
Sowmya