Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by blazingwolf7 <bl...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/19 04:44:04 UTC

Score Boosting

Hi,

I am currently working on the calculation of score part in Lucene. And I
encounter a part that I do not understand.
    return raw * Similarity.decodeNorm(norms[doc]); // normalize for field

As can be seen from the code above, the Similarity method decodeNorm() will
be called to decode the byte formatted value to change it back into float
value. This value actually represent the normalization value for the fields;
title, url, content, host and anchor.

I would like to know how it actually select the field to be included in the
calculation. When I print out the value, I noticed only one of the field
will be selected. Can anyone advise me on this? How the field is selected,
and why not all the field is used in the calculation?

Thanks

Re: Score Boosting

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Normalization is done on a field by field basis, as is most scoring.
It doesn't factor all fields in, b/c someone might not be querying all
fields.  The field it does use is based on the query.