Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Rahul Agarwal <ra...@fit.edu> on 2002/08/13 03:47:31 UTC

Cannot open ppt files with Apache/1.3.20

Hi,

I am facing a problem which I think is wierd. I have a powerpoint file under
my web directory. When I type the url for it as
www.mysite.com/~myusername/temp.ppt IE 6.0 gives me the option to save or
open the file. Saving the file works fine. However, trying to open it from
its current location gives a "The Page cannot be displayed" error. I
suspected it to be a client side problem. However, I am able to open
powerpoint files from other websites ( just did a google search, found some
ppt files and it opened fine).

Then, I thought it probably is not handling binaries properly. However I can
open doc and pdf files just fine within the browser. I looked up mime.types
under apache configuratoins. There is an entry which says

application/vnd.ms-powerpoint   ppt

I am not sure why specifically it is not handling ppt files. I did some
searches on google but didn't come up with anything.

Any help/pointers will be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Rahul

Re: Cannot open ppt files with Apache/1.3.20

Posted by Rahul Agarwal <ra...@fit.edu>.
Something else that I noticed.

Putting the temp.ppt file under www.mysite.com works just fine i.e., I can
open it in a browser window.

Why can't the personal webpages display the ppt files properly? Is there a
configuration parameter somewhere that I need to change?

Thanks,
Rahul