Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Brent L Johnson <br...@bjohnson.net> on 2004/01/22 19:32:18 UTC

Cocoon Personal "Portal"

I'm working on a type of "personal" portal that pulls
together information in one easy place.  I'm doing this
using Cocoon and it's turning out to work very well!

The system supports any type of RSS/RDF feeds (by downloading
cached versions every hour) and also uses SOAP to pull
down weather data for my local area.

Not only that - Ive written a web based email interface
to the native database format that James (james.apache.org)
uses.  It's also set up to act as a POP3 proxy.. it polls
my POP3 server(s) and pulls down email every minute which
updates the web-based email client.  I also used Classifier4J's
Bayesian classifier to create a James Matcher so when
it pulls down email from my remote POP3 server it uses
the bayesian matcher to attempt to match incoming spam.

Then through the web interface I can further train the
application by deleting emails that got through as spam (which
adds them to the classification).. or recoving emails from
the spam box (which teaches a non-match and moves the email
back to my inbox).

Once a POP3 client is started (like Outlook in my case)..
it pulls down anything currently showing in the web-based client
which in turn removes the email from the inbox on the web.

And to top it off the whole thing is "skinnable".  I've got
some screenshots of what I have working so far.  The screenshots
show both a "star trek" type skin and the default blocky skin.
Changing the skin is as easy as changing one global variable
in the sitemap.

You can check out screenshots at http://www.bjohnson.net/images

* "trek" series shows logging in and checking email
* "skin_example" series is just 2 images showing the same
functionality in both skins.
* "kill_spam" series shows me adding spam to the classifier

And the default sentinel skins looks exactly the same in Mozilla
or IE.  The trek one is very close .. I just need to tweak the
right part of each "block" to look correct in Mozilla.

Let me know what you think!  Cocoon rocks :-)

Thanks,

- Brent

Re: Cocoon Personal "Portal"

Posted by Rudi Strasser <ru...@gmx.de>.
On Thursday 22 January 2004 18:32, Brent L Johnson wrote:
> I'm working on a type of "personal" portal that pulls
> together information in one easy place.  I'm doing this
> using Cocoon and it's turning out to work very well!
>
> The system supports any type of RSS/RDF feeds (by downloading
> cached versions every hour) and also uses SOAP to pull
> down weather data for my local area.
>
> Not only that - Ive written a web based email interface
> to the native database format that James (james.apache.org)
> uses.  It's also set up to act as a POP3 proxy.. it polls
> my POP3 server(s) and pulls down email every minute which
> updates the web-based email client.  I also used Classifier4J's
> Bayesian classifier to create a James Matcher so when
> it pulls down email from my remote POP3 server it uses
> the bayesian matcher to attempt to match incoming spam.
>
> Then through the web interface I can further train the
> application by deleting emails that got through as spam (which
> adds them to the classification).. or recoving emails from
> the spam box (which teaches a non-match and moves the email
> back to my inbox).
>
> Once a POP3 client is started (like Outlook in my case)..
> it pulls down anything currently showing in the web-based client
> which in turn removes the email from the inbox on the web.
>
> And to top it off the whole thing is "skinnable".  I've got
> some screenshots of what I have working so far.  The screenshots
> show both a "star trek" type skin and the default blocky skin.
> Changing the skin is as easy as changing one global variable
> in the sitemap.
>
> You can check out screenshots at http://www.bjohnson.net/images
>
> * "trek" series shows logging in and checking email
> * "skin_example" series is just 2 images showing the same
> functionality in both skins.
> * "kill_spam" series shows me adding spam to the classifier
>
> And the default sentinel skins looks exactly the same in Mozilla
> or IE.  The trek one is very close .. I just need to tweak the
> right part of each "block" to look correct in Mozilla.
>
> Let me know what you think!  Cocoon rocks :-)
I like your page ! The theme is also very cool.
/Rudi

Re: Cocoon Personal "Portal"

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
Sounds impressive. Was it "just for you" or some paid work or whatever?
Do you plan to give some components to the community? We have already a
mail block, maybe it can be extended?

Joerg