Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Fr...@isc-ejpd.admin.ch on 2004/07/20 11:28:46 UTC

Rewriting files

Hi,

I am starting using POI to modify excel (Excel 2002) files. But, as far as i
have tested, excel could not read all rewritten files (even without
modification).

I tried to run OfficeDrawing example program and then ReadWriteWorkbook and
it fails :-(

Is there other limitations that these specified on homepage?

Thank you,

Frederic

Re: Rewriting files

Posted by Rainer Klute <kl...@rainer-klute.de>.
I thought more of something unspecific: Just through all .xls files from
test cases and problem cases into a single directory and do the copy and
compare job for all of them.

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 19:54, Danny Mui wrote:
> there's quite a few test cases where this is done.  i know of several,
> NamedRanges and PrintArea ones to be specific.
>
> Rainer Klute wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 11:28, Frederic.Dreier@isc-ejpd.admin.ch wrote:
> >
> >>I am starting using POI to modify excel (Excel 2002) files. But, as far as i
> >>have tested, excel could not read all rewritten files (even without
> >>modification).
> >

> > Does HSSF have a test case that reads a couple of files (e.g. all files
> > in a certain directory), writes them and compares them logically with
> > the originals?

Best regards
Rainer Klute

                           Rainer Klute IT-Consulting GmbH
  Dipl.-Inform.
  Rainer Klute             E-Mail:  klute@rainer-klute.de
  Körner Grund 24          Telefon: +49 172 2324824
D-44143 Dortmund           Telefax: +49 231 5349423

Re: Rewriting files

Posted by Danny Mui <da...@muibros.com>.

Re: develop hwpf classes

Posted by Rainer Klute <kl...@rainer-klute.de>.
On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 20:04, wolfgang.unger wrote:
> if anybody knows (Rainer?) an instruction (more detailed
> than the information available on the poi sites), to
> develop some new classes to hwpf?

Sorry, no, not me. I am just HPSF-aware and have NO idea of HWPF or
HSSF. But I am sure there are others reading this list who can help.

> I would like to add some support for
> fields(variables,bookmarks)to hwpf.
> Right now it appears little difficult to me, only
> having this wosit-document and the
> existing hwpf-classes (to study already
> implemented methods).
> Also it would be necessary to alter some
> of the existing classes and there should be
> someone to supervise this, right?

Wolfgang, this is your chance to become a committer! Make your changes,
make sure that the test cases run, develop new test cases, correct old
ones (if needed), and submit your patches. If they turn out to be
valuable stuff, you'd be very welcome on board.

develop hwpf classes

Posted by "wolfgang.unger" <wo...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

if anybody knows (Rainer?) an instruction (more detailed
than the information available on the poi sites), to
develop some new classes to hwpf?
I'm new to poi, and since ryan left, I have no
idea, who can help.
I would like to add some support for
fields(variables,bookmarks)to hwpf.
Right now it appears little difficult to me, only
having this wosit-document and the
existing hwpf-classes (to study already
implemented methods).
Also it would be necessary to alter some
of the existing classes and there should be
someone to supervise this, right?

best regards wolfgang

Re: Rewriting files

Posted by ac...@apache.org.
The problem is, just because its "logically correct" doesn't mean Excel
v.XYZ can read it.  Its write once, debug everywhere :-)
--=20
Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

The views expressed in this email are those of the author and are almost
definitely not shared by the Apache Software Foundation, its board or its
general membership.  In fact they probably most definitively disagree with
everything espoused in the above email.

Re: Rewriting files

Posted by Rainer Klute <kl...@rainer-klute.de>.