Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org> on 2001/03/15 04:14:13 UTC

Re: [Xerces2] Processing Models, Pipeline, and Parser configurations[Long]

Ian Roberts wrote:
> Going to 1.2 would prevent Xerces working on the Microsoft JVM,
> which could be a problem for some people.

I'm glad that you are stating your need to remain on Java
1.1.x API for the parser. Many people have said that there's
noone left using 1.1.x and we shouldn't worry about backwards
compatibility. But as long as we have users who need the
parser to work under 1.1.x, then we should accommodate them.

Besides, there's no real reason to rely on Java 1.2 API. For
example: the Java collection classes. Because performance is
a key issue, it's faster to implement custom data structures.

Having said that, though, I believe that some Java 1.2+ code
has been inserted into the code, recently. I can't recall
what at the moment but I can find out just be recompiling
under 1.1.x. So this should be fixed.