Posted to phoenix-dev@avalon.apache.org by Eung-ju Park <co...@isoft.co.kr> on 2002/07/29 05:16:58 UTC

adapter or adaptor?

We use adapter and adaptor.
It bring to me a little confusion.
Please maintain consistent names. :-)

Just keep current state?

or

Migrate to "adapter" or "adaptor"?

Re: adapter or adaptor?

Posted by Eung-ju Park <co...@isoft.co.kr>.
Sun JMX RI adopt 'adaptor'. also MX4J adopt 'adaptor'. :-)
How about just keep 'adoptor' at JMX related domain?

I am +1.

Re: adapter or adaptor?

Posted by Eung-ju Park <co...@isoft.co.kr>.
<av...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Sent: Monday, July 29, 2002 5:37 PM
> Subject: Re: adapter or adaptor?
>

> On Mon, 29 Jul 2002 13:16, Eung-ju Park wrote:
> > We use adapter and adaptor.
> > It bring to me a little confusion.
> > Please maintain consistent names. :-)
>
> :)
>
> That was probably me.

You have many adapter and adaptor in ant-myrmidon. like private static
RmicAdapter createAdaptor ... :-)

> > Just keep current state?
> >
> > or
> >
> > Migrate to "adapter" or "adaptor"?
>
> either is fine with me ;) I think they are both valid English. I guess we
pick
> the one that s most common in codebase (adapter?) and stick with that ;)

'adapter' is more common than 'adoptor' in jakarta codebase.

$ find ./ -name "*.java" | xargs grep -i adaptor | wc
     124     779   19557
$ find ./ -name "*.java" | xargs grep -i adapter | wc
     638    3860   98495

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
For additional commands, e-mail:
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: adapter or adaptor?

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2002-07-29 at 10:37, Peter Donald wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jul 2002 13:16, Eung-ju Park wrote:
> > We use adapter and adaptor.
> > It bring to me a little confusion.
> > Please maintain consistent names. :-)
>
> :)
>
> That was probably me.

=)

> > Just keep current state?
> >
> > or
> >
> > Migrate to "adapter" or "adaptor"?
>
> either is fine with me ;)

+1

> I think they are both valid English.

+1

a·dapt·er also a·dap·tor   Pronunciation Key  (-dptr)
n.

   1. One that adapts, such as a device used to effect operative
compatibility between different parts of one or more pieces of
apparatus.
   2. Computer Science. A hardware device, such as a printed circuit
board, that enables a personal computer to use additional peripheral
devices or hardware.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language,
Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

> I guess we pick
> the one that s most common in codebase (adapter?) and stick with that ;)

+1

LSD

Re: adapter or adaptor?

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.