Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sreejith <sr...@onmobile.com> on 2004/09/08 12:31:57 UTC

Server side redirect

Hi all,
    It is possible to do a server side redirect to another Tomcat Server
(any other web server)? I dont want to use status codes 3xx, as this
involves the user agent in redirection.

Sreejith

Re: Server side redirect

Posted by Sjoerd van Leent <sv...@wanadoo.nl>.
Okay, you are trying to perform a forward from one server to another.
Well the most easy option is to use a 306 but as you stated, you don't
want to use any header redirects (though all conformant browsers accept
these). Your next option is to reroute the messages from your server to
another server and let that server decide what to do (this is what's
called a proxy). The only thing the first server is doing is being sheepish.
Using this technique as I explained below, you can redirect
cross-server, or if you want, cross-application without the need for the
browser to know what's going on. Making a proxy can be done in all kinds
of manners, one of them should probably fit your needs.
A third option, which is usable with large scaled applications, is to
use node systems, but this is only necessary for huge systems.

If there is a question regarding to proxying do not hesitate to ask.

Regards,
Sjoerd

RE: Server side redirect

Re: Server side redirect