Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> on 2005/02/13 17:14:46 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] lucene4c 0.02

I'm happy to announce the release of version 0.02 of Lucene4c, a port of
Lucene to the C language using the Apache Portable Runtime.

The primary new feature in this release is support for compressed file
stream directories, and along with that comes a directory abstraction
similar to that found in Java Lucene and a large number of bug fixes.

This release also brings with it an actual web site, where this and
previous versions of the code can be downloaded.

http://electricjellyfish.net/garrett/lucene4c/

Now that compressed file streams are supported I will likely turn my
attention to writing code to read the remaining parts of the index
format, and then continue onward towards actual useful searching
functionality.

Again, any feedback, questions, comments, or patches implementing parts
of the missing functionality should be directed to me ;-)

-garrett

Re: [ANNOUNCE] lucene4c 0.02

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
Doug Cutting wrote:
> Garrett Rooney wrote:
>
>> Additionally it would be good to work on updating the disk format
>> documentation, I've found several cases where the docs are quite out
>> of date compared to the current code.  It's hard to expect the various
>> different ports to maintain compatibility when the formats are only
>> documented in code.
>

> If you have a chance, please submit bugs for these.  Thanks.

I've got a number of "XXX undocumented" comments in the lucene4c code,
I'll make some time later this week to go through and file bugs on them.

One thing that jumps right out at me though is the fact that the current
docs don't mention cfs files at all.  It took me a bit by surprise that
after reading over the file format documentation when I created the demo
index none of the files I had read about were even there ;-)

-garrett

Re: [ANNOUNCE] lucene4c 0.02

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Garrett Rooney wrote:
> Additionally it would be good to work on updating the disk format
> documentation, I've found several cases where the docs are quite out of
> date compared to the current code.  It's hard to expect the various
> different ports to maintain compatibility when the formats are only
> documented in code.

If you have a chance, please submit bugs for these.  Thanks.

Doug

Re: [ANNOUNCE] lucene4c 0.02

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
Erik Hatcher wrote:

>> What is the procedure from here?
>

> I encourage you to propose the codebase to the Incubator.  I'd be happy
> to be a sponsor of it, and I'm already tuning in to the incubator list.
>  The lack of community around this codebase will be an issue leaving the
> incubator, but I think it should come into incubation with no problems.

Thank you for the offer, I'll put together a proposal sometime this week
and send it in.  In the past various different people have expressed
interest in a C version of Lucene, hopefully we can get some of them
involved more directly once it's in the incubator.

> The Lucene repository is set up to accommodate other languages now and
> the lucene4c codebase would be a nice start on getting cross-language
> unit tests started.  It would be great to have compatibility tests for
> the various ports of Lucene.

I agree, cross language compatibility tests would be nice to have.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] lucene4c 0.02

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
Erik Hatcher wrote:

> I encourage you to propose the codebase to the Incubator.

For the curious, the proposal has been sent.  I hope to see you all
voicing your support on general@incubator.apache.org ;-)

-garrett

Re: [ANNOUNCE] lucene4c 0.02

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Feb 13, 2005, at 12:58 PM, Garrett Rooney wrote:
>> Does your code warrant incubation?  Or could it go right into
>> Lucene's repository?
>
> I'm not really sure what the proper course of action is, but after a
> quick look at the incubator documentation, it seems like the primary
> way projects are supposed to enter the ASF is through the incubator.
>
> One thing that worries me a bit is that at this point the only
> contributor to the project is myself, and it seems like the incubator
> might consider that to be a bit of a warning sign.  It would certainly
> seem to be something that would prevent graduation from incubation,
> but I'm not sure if it's enough to keep it from entering incubation
> entirely.
>
> What is the procedure from here?

I encourage you to propose the codebase to the Incubator.  I'd be happy
to be a sponsor of it, and I'm already tuning in to the incubator list.
  The lack of community around this codebase will be an issue leaving
the incubator, but I think it should come into incubation with no
problems.  The Lucene repository is set up to accommodate other
languages now and the lucene4c codebase would be a nice start on
getting cross-language unit tests started.  It would be great to have
compatibility tests for the various ports of Lucene.

	Erik

Re: [ANNOUNCE] lucene4c 0.02

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
Erik Hatcher wrote:
> Garrett,
>
> Now that we have Subversion, are you interested in us creating an area
> for lucene4c at Apache?

I'd be happy to move lucene4c development to Apache, I'm getting to the
point where the project resembles something that could be useful, and
the ASF infrastructure would make it easier for people other than me to
contribute.  I mean it's not like I can't set up my own mailing lists,
bug trackers, and Subversion repositories, but it's a heck of a lot
easier to just use the ones at the ASF ;-)

Re: [ANNOUNCE] lucene4c 0.02

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Feb 13, 2005, at 11:37 PM, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
> I was going to wait a bit with inviting various Lucene ports to Lucene
> until we have the mailing lists set up and at lucene.apache.org, to
> make things a bit more tangible for people.

Since these codebase imports have to come through incubation, which
will take time to get through the system, I think getting them into
incubation now is a good idea.

I've submitted requests to get e-mail lists and JIRA set up, but so far
only our conversion to Subversion has happened.   But certainly all of
this will be set up by the time a new codebase is ready to leave
incubation.

	Erik

Re: [ANNOUNCE] lucene4c 0.02

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
I think Garrett will have to push lucene4c through the Incubator to get
to Lucene, as you've already discussed.

I was going to wait a bit with inviting various Lucene ports to Lucene
until we have the mailing lists set up and at lucene.apache.org, to
make things a bit more tangible for people.

I'll see how it goes with Garrett and Lucene, so I can then point
people to look at lucene4c as the guiding example.

Otis

Re: [ANNOUNCE] lucene4c 0.02

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
Garrett,