Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/24 06:53:55 UTC

[taglibs] Site plans

FYI that I'm digging into the Taglibs site to figure out how it is we go
from 15 Maven target/site directories to 1 site.

I'm then going to write a dumb shell script that copies the relevant parts
to a Tomcat site/taglibs checkout, allowing for the site to be updated. I'm
sure there's a very clever Maven plugin that can take care of this and
handle the logic of the 15 maven projects becoming 1 site, but I'd rather
build Lego :)

Hen

Re: [taglibs] Site plans

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
On Jul 6, 2013, at 5:32 PM, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 8:43 PM, Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Jul 2, 2013, at 9:41 AM, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I wouldn't expect to deploy the site from tags - a site is a live/current
>>> thing.
>>
>> The core site is a live/current thing, but there is also the
>> documentation/reports etc. that would be associated with a specific tag.
>> IOW, the site could contain the JavaDoc for 1.1.2, 1.2.0, and 1.2.1 etc.
>> That would suggest 1+N parts as Olivier suggests, one for the live site and
>> one generated from each tag.
>>

> Fair enough, but why build it from the tag? It's easy enough to use svn cp
> to put it in place once and then leave it there rather than keep building
> something that shouldn't be changing.

I'm not familiar enough with the mechanics of publishing. I was thinking it would be
1) cut tag (mvn release),
2) build (sub-)site from tagged version,
3) publish (check it in, pubsub does some magic?),
4) never touch it again…
I thought it would have to work that way because it's the act of tagging that updates the final version info in the pom.

Whereas for the live/current site, every time it's published it overlays itself?

Re: [taglibs] Site plans

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: [taglibs] Site plans

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.

Re: [taglibs] Site plans

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 3:04 AM, Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> Apologize for delayed response.
>
> 2013/6/26 Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>:
> > On Jun 25, 2013, at 7:54 AM, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Help much appreciated - but do we want all the content of all the
> modules
> >> to be there?
> >>
> >> It feels to me that the website does not map directly to the codebase.
> We
> >> want an overall site, and subsites for Standard and for RDC. We don't
> want
> >> to have the 14 pom.xmls become a site structure, or the 4 pom.xmls
> >> (tld-generator and extended).
> >
> > Three mini-sites sounds good: a top-level one holding things together
> and then sub-sites for standard and RDC. Is there a way to associate the
> top-level one with the parent POM and the others with the "root" poms in
> standard and rdc? That would match with the things that are likely to be
> released (being all "standard" packages together, or all "rdc" packages
> together, but not both at the same time). Do we still need an aggregator
> pom as well - how about setting up separate CI jobs for "standard" and
> "rdc"?
> >

> Coud be possible but do you want to deploy sites from tagged modules
> versions ? (I presume yes).
> In such case that will changed a bit as all modules will be in a
> different svn path.

Apologies for no change on this - I've spent the week with flu.

Re: [taglibs] Site plans

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Apologize for delayed response.

2013/6/26 Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>:
> On Jun 25, 2013, at 7:54 AM, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Help much appreciated - but do we want all the content of all the modules
>> to be there?
>>
>> It feels to me that the website does not map directly to the codebase. We
>> want an overall site, and subsites for Standard and for RDC. We don't want
>> to have the 14 pom.xmls become a site structure, or the 4 pom.xmls
>> (tld-generator and extended).
>
> Three mini-sites sounds good: a top-level one holding things together and then sub-sites for standard and RDC. Is there a way to associate the top-level one with the parent POM and the others with the "root" poms in standard and rdc? That would match with the things that are likely to be released (being all "standard" packages together, or all "rdc" packages together, but not both at the same time). Do we still need an aggregator pom as well - how about setting up separate CI jobs for "standard" and "rdc"?

Coud be possible but do you want to deploy sites from tagged modules
versions ? (I presume yes).
In such case that will changed a bit as all modules will be in a
different svn path.

> From the "standard" side, how about killing the separate "doc" "examples" and "standard-test" modules, rolling the documentation and examples into the site and the test cases into unit or integration tests in the individual modules?

Olivier Lamy
Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au

Re: [taglibs] Site plans

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
On Jun 25, 2013, at 7:54 AM, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Help much appreciated - but do we want all the content of all the modules
> to be there?
>
> It feels to me that the website does not map directly to the codebase. We
> want an overall site, and subsites for Standard and for RDC. We don't want
> to have the 14 pom.xmls become a site structure, or the 4 pom.xmls
> (tld-generator and extended).

Three mini-sites sounds good: a top-level one holding things together and then sub-sites for standard and RDC. Is there a way to associate the top-level one with the parent POM and the others with the "root" poms in standard and rdc? That would match with the things that are likely to be released (being all "standard" packages together, or all "rdc" packages together, but not both at the same time). Do we still need an aggregator pom as well - how about setting up separate CI jobs for "standard" and "rdc"?

From the "standard" side, how about killing the separate "doc" "examples" and "standard-test" modules, rolling the documentation and examples into the site and the test cases into unit or integration tests in the individual modules?

Re: [taglibs] Site plans

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: [taglibs] Site plans