Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Andrew <ap...@kaleo.biz> on 2003/08/09 17:39:01 UTC

failed to add file object of the same name already exists

I am getting this error on checkout.

failed to add file 'C:/Web/wwwroot/kaleo/images/KaleoAddress.gif': object of
the same name already exists

This file KaleoAddress.gif exist and so does KaleoAddress.png in the same
directory.

When this error happens the checkout process fails.  I am unable to checkout
anything in the images dir.

Configuration
Subversion 0.26.0
command line client (same issue with TortoiseSVN and RapidSVN).
A dump of this repository works fine as does a load of the dumped file.

repository access is - file:///Q:/repos/coldfusion/trunk/www.kaleo.biz
this is a local drive.

Andrew Penhorwood

Re: failed to add file object of the same name already exists

Posted by Andrew <ap...@kaleo.biz>.
| 'svn checkout' will not overwrite unversioned files.  It's a safety
| feature.
|
| Just allow 'svn checkout' to create a new directory for the whole
| working copy.

It is not an unversioned file.  But I did some more testing and discovered
that there are indeed two files in the repository named KaleoAddress.gif and
kaleoaddress.gif.  Don't know how that happened or when that happened.  I am
running subversion (server and client) on a Windows XP SP1 machine.

Andrew

Re: failed to add file object of the same name already exists

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Andrew <ap...@kaleo.biz>.
Seems the issue is case sensitivity in the file system.  I found this thread
and others that discussed it.

http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=40115

While I understand the discussions in the threads it would seem to me there
is a better why then just killing the rest of the checkout.  Maybe a report
saying these files have errors on checkout or something.  I can fix the
issue by editing the dump file or maybe there is a better way which I don't
know of.  I am a very new user of subversion.

But case sensitivity is a fact of life on a windows machine.  Having some
way to handle this issue without editing the dumpfile is a major plus.
Luckly I am now a consultant and so I have control of this issue.  If this
would have happened when I was a lead programmer for my last company it
would have been the end of Subversion at that company.

Andrew P.