Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Calvin Lei <ck...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/29 19:02:38 UTC

Securing kafka

Is there a way to stop a malicious user to connect directly to a kafka
broker and send any messages? Could we have the brokers to accept a message
to a list of know IPs?

Re: Securing kafka

Posted by Jason Rosenberg <jb...@squareup.com>.
I'm definitely interested in this too.

Re: Securing kafka

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Securing kafka

Posted by Maxime Brugidou <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Securing kafka

Posted by Rajasekar Elango <re...@salesforce.com>.
No certificates are not per topic. It is for entire broker.

Thanks,
Raja.

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 11:33 PM, Joe Stein <cr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> are the certificate stores by topic? very interesting!!! looking forward to
> trying it out and review it

>  Joe Stein
>  Founder, Principal Consultant
>  Big Data Open Source Security LLC
>  http://www.stealth.ly
>  Twitter: @allthingshadoop <http://www.twitter.com/allthingshadoop>
>

> On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 11:22 PM, Rajasekar Elango
> <re...@salesforce.com>wrote:
>
> > We have made changes to kafka code to support certificate based mutual
> SSL
> > authentication. So the clients and broker will exchange trusted
> > certificates for successful communication. This provides both
> > authentication and ssl encryption. Planning to contribute that code back
> > kafka soon.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Raja.
> >

> > On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 11:16 PM, Joe Stein <cr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > One use case I have been discussing recently with a few clients is
> > > verifying the digital signature of a message as part of the acceptance
> > > criteria of it being committed to the log and/or when it is consumed.
> > >
> > > I would be very interested in discussing different scenarios such as
> > Kafka
> > > as a service, privacy at rest as well as authorization and
> authentication
> > > (if required).
> > >
> > > Hit me up
> > >
> > > /*******************************************
> > >  Joe Stein
> > >  Founder, Principal Consultant
> > >  Big Data Open Source Security LLC
> > >  http://www.stealth.ly
> > >  Twitter: @allthingshadoop <http://www.twitter.com/allthingshadoop>
> > > ********************************************/

> answer
> > > is

> > > kafka
> accept a
> > > > > >

> > --
> > Thanks,
> > Raja.

Raja.

Re: Securing kafka

Posted by Joe Stein <cr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Securing kafka

Posted by Calvin Lei <ck...@gmail.com>.
That's sounds very interesting. Looking forward to it!

Re: Securing kafka

Posted by Scott Clasen <sc...@heroku.com>.
Please contribute that back!, Would potentially be huge for mirroring
clusters across Amazon Regions, for instance.

Re: Securing kafka

Posted by Rajasekar Elango <re...@salesforce.com>.
We have made changes to kafka code to support certificate based mutual SSL
authentication. So the clients and broker will exchange trusted
certificates for successful communication. This provides both
authentication and ssl encryption. Planning to contribute that code back to
kafka soon.

Thanks,
Raja.

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 11:16 PM, Joe Stein <cr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> One use case I have been discussing recently with a few clients is
> verifying the digital signature of a message as part of the acceptance
> criteria of it being committed to the log and/or when it is consumed.
>
> I would be very interested in discussing different scenarios such as Kafka
> as a service, privacy at rest as well as authorization and authentication
> (if required).
>
> Hit me up

>  Joe Stein
>  Founder, Principal Consultant
>  Big Data Open Source Security LLC
>  http://www.stealth.ly
>  Twitter: @allthingshadoop <http://www.twitter.com/allthingshadoop>
>

> On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 8:13 PM, Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > +1
> >
> > We don't have any application-level security at this time so the answer
> is
> > whatever you can do at the network/system level.
> >
> > -Jay
> >

> > On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Benjamin Black <b...@b3k.us> wrote:
> >
> > > IP filters on the hosts.

> kafka
> > > message

Raja.

Re: Securing kafka

Posted by Joe Stein <cr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Securing kafka

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1

RE: Securing kafka

Posted by "Sybrandy, Casey" <Ca...@Six3Systems.com>.
Another possible solution is to use stunnel to authenticate clients with a certificate.  It's a bit harder to spoof a certificate than an IP address.

Re: Securing kafka

Posted by Benjamin Black <b...@b3k.us>.
IP filters on the hosts.