Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dick Eastin <de...@compuflex.com> on 2007/07/28 02:10:14 UTC

Serving ActiveX from Tomcat ?

Hi - Sorry to be asking a dumb question; but, maybe the answer is simple and
fast and will save me even more hours.

I'm serving a dll from webapps/ROOT to IE.  I have added the mime type for
the .dll as application/octet-stream to the server's web.xml (same as
apache's
mime type).  The component seems to arrive at IE; but, does not render
visually nor recognize function/parameter access.  This has been tested on
4.0.6 and 5.5.17.  (also tried a recommended mime type
application/x-msdownload I think it was.)

It works fine served from Apache.

Any clues ?
Thanks,
Dick

Re: Serving ActiveX from Tomcat ?

Posted by Brantley Hobbs <sb...@uga.edu>.
With stuff like this, I've had good success simply using telnet and a
manual GET to see what the correct headers are supposed to look like.  A
sniffer would work just as well.

Good luck!

Brantley

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
> Hi - Sorry to be asking a dumb question; but, maybe the answer is simple
> and
> fast and will save me even more hours.
>
> I'm serving a dll from webapps/ROOT to IE.  I have added the mime type for
> the .dll as application/octet-stream to the server's web.xml (same as
> apache's
> mime type).  The component seems to arrive at IE; but, does not render
> visually nor recognize function/parameter access.  This has been tested on
> 4.0.6 and 5.5.17.  (also tried a recommended mime type
> application/x-msdownload I think it was.)

Its been a long long time since I played with ActiveX.... I actually think
the x-msdownload mime type is right, and this is a guess but I think its
probably the CODEBASE setting in the OBJECT tag that is causing the problem.
I forget the details but it probably has something like codebase = "yourDLL"
in it.... the thing is... thats relative to the page serving it.
So it could be something as silly as codebase = "/yourDLL" will make it
reference properly.
If its working, elsewhere.... I think the problem is there somewhere.