Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Sebastien Chassande-Barrioz <se...@inrialpes.fr> on 2002/03/11 08:19:51 UTC

" character

hi,

I have a problem to set a variable with the " character:
#set($toto="hello")
#set($foo="\"${toto}")
$foo

renders:
\"hello

but I would like just:
"hello

The following other case occurs an error:
#set($foo=""${toto}")

I does not find in the documentation any information about escaping the
" character in a string. How is it possible ?

regards,
Seb
--
Chassande-Barrioz Sebastien
INRIALPES - SIRAC/SARDES Team - ObjectWeb initiative

Re: " character

Posted by Christoph Reck <Ch...@dlr.de>.
The current way of getting a quote into a string is using
a formal declaration:

#set( $Q = '"' )
#set( $foo="$Q$toto" )

Note that anything within single quotes in a VTL parameter (within
a set or in a method call) will not be touched by Velocity.
so you can also write #set($foo='"hello').

Note that I use a similar trick to get newlines into strings:
#set( $NL = $forms.uudecode('%0A') )## $forms is a user written context tool.

Hope this helps,
:) Christoph

Sebastien Chassande-Barrioz wrote:

> hi,
>
> I have a problem to set a variable with the " character:
> #set($toto="hello")
> #set($foo="\"${toto}")

#set( $foo="$Q$toto" )

> $foo