Posted to user@bigtop.apache.org by Steven Núñez <st...@illation.com> on 2013/11/21 03:32:00 UTC

CentOS Out of Box Install Summary

Gents,

Below is a summary of the results of an out of the box CentOS/EC2 BigTop 0.70.0 install. It lists all the components I need for the project I’m writing about. What would be useful somewhere on the wiki is a list of known issues and a page to some possible resolutions. This could be as easy as taking this list and adding a third column ‘workaround’ with a page on how to fix it. It could also be used as a QA page of sorts, on the assumption that all of the components are supposed to work out of the box (looks like some of the init.d scripts aren’t quite right either judging by the error below).

Cheers,
- SteveN

Hadoop datanode is running                                 [  OK  ]
Hadoop journalnode is running                              [  OK  ]
Hadoop namenode is running                                 [  OK  ]
Hadoop secondarynamenode is running                        [  OK  ]
Hadoop zkfc is dead and pid file exists                    [FAILED]
Hadoop httpfs is running                                   [  OK  ]
Hadoop historyserver is dead and pid file exists           [FAILED]
Hadoop nodemanager is dead and pid file exists             [FAILED]
Hadoop proxyserver is dead and pid file exists             [FAILED]
Hadoop resourcemanager is running                          [  OK  ]
hald (pid  1041) is running...
HBase master daemon is dead and pid file exists            [FAILED]
hbase-regionserver is not running.
HBase rest daemon is running                               [  OK  ]
HBase thrift daemon is running                             [  OK  ]
HCatalog server is running                                 [  OK  ]
Hive Metastore is dead and pid file exists                 [FAILED]
Hive Server is running                                     [  OK  ]
Hive Server2 is dead and pid file exists                   [FAILED]
not running but /var/run/oozie/oozie.pid exists.
Spark master is not running                                [FAILED]
Spark worker is not running                                [FAILED]
spice-vdagentd is stopped
Sqoop Server is running                                    [  OK  ]

Re: CentOS Out of Box Install Summary

Posted by Sean Mackrory <ma...@gmail.com>.
Yes, CDH and Bigtop are very closely related, and in fact every commercial
Hadoop distro that I've looked at includes the "bigtop-utils" package.
Commercial documentation might be good in helping you understand common
practices and context, but there are some key differences and it shouldn't
dissuade us from getting some quality documentation for Bigtop anyway.

Oozie, Hue, Zookeeper and HBase are also available in Bigtop. Snappy is not
a separate component in Bigtop but I'm pretty sure it always gets built
into our Hadoop packages. We're setting the flags to do that if it's
installed at build-time, at least.

The Puppet code is in bigtop-deploy/puppet and there's a README file in
that directory. Haven't done it myself.

As a former BSD user myself, I would love to see more Hadoop support there,
but it would require some commitment from the other projects too (Hadoop
only supports Linux for production and Windows for development). Last time
I used BSD I recall seeing Hadoop and Pig in ports, actually - but they
were old versions and they're not part of Bigtop or well maintained by
anyone as far as I can tell.

Posted by Sean Mackrory <ma...@gmail.com>.