Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by JAX <ja...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/21 02:34:28 UTC

Reporter vs context

Hi guys : I notice that there's been some chatter about the "Reporter" in context of counters.... Forgive my ignorance here as I've never seen Reporters used in real code.

What is the difference between the use of our Context, and Reporter objects- and how are they related? Is there any overlap in their functionality.?

Jay Vyas
MMSB
UCHC

Re: Reporter vs context

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Context is what the new MR API offers, and it wraps over a Reporter
object, and provides other helpful functions and data you'd require
within a task (lives up to its name).

Reporter was the raw object provided in the old MR API, that lets one
report progress, set status, etc.. In new API, you access the same
reporter via a Context wrapper class instead.

--
Harsh J