Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Guillaume Mathe <gm...@smartinnov.com> on 2001/09/20 16:57:50 UTC

More good reasons to use Velocity

We've all dealt with 'suit management' and we know how tough it can be picking our favourite set of tools.
You may choose Velocity because of its technical edge, but how about overall project impact ?
Here are two strong points i've found out while using Velocity - points the suits may be sensible to...
- You can externalize web page dev, provided your 3rd party is willing to learn VTL (quite easy), and of course provided you are quite close to them.
- You can build a "white-box" app, that means it can be tuned to fit any graphical chart. That's very important when developing software for other
companies, those companies like having their apps dressed with their colors. The trick is easy, just put a VTL reference to a corresponding CSS in your
page header. You can do more of course, even change completely which template is parsed. You said "skinnable" ? :) Absolutely. Guess what, the
suits love this "white box" concept.

I may have more ideas but my time is... non existant :p

These points are important when you first evaluate Velocity. I think it should be useful that they finish on Velocity first page, after a reshaping.
The goal here is to help people adopt Velocity more easily - by giving them clues of what they can tell to their management, or to themselves... And
telling them how they can include it in they framework.
Maybe promoting this "5 Web Frameworks Now Support Velocity" to a "Velocity and your framework", and listing existing frameworks, then adding a
"you're not limited to those, here are some ideas..."

Comments, flames, praise are all welcome.

Regards,
Guillaume Mathe