Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ContestAdmin <Co...@itravelmarketing.com> on 2002/12/10 16:22:50 UTC

Re: I don´t understand the objective of thisopen list !

Dave Sill wrote:

> Mark <ma...@bellsouth.net> writes:
>
> > Our company has a very young, inexperienced appserver administrator
> > who had Tomcat up an running in a matter of minutes (literally)
> > without a CD library of professionally drafted set of documentation.
>
> With an Apache connector? Running as a nonprivileged user and/or
> chrooted?
>
> > Instead of complaining, why not post the specific nature of your
> > problems and let people here help you?
>
> I'm not complaining, and I did exactly that. Know what response I got?
> Nothing. Not one reply. No requests for more info, no flames, no
> "outta work"'s, ... nothing. See:
>
>   http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg76175.html
>
> I know I'm not entitled to a response, but when the documention fails
> and only other support channel available fails, it's frustrating.
>
> --
> Dave Sill                     Oak Ridge National Lab, Workstation Support
> Author, The qmail Handbook                <http://web.infoave.net/~dsill>
> <http://lifewithqmail.org/>: Almost everything you always wanted to know.

If the socked file does not exist perhaps the user running tomcat could
not create it (of course if you are running as root this is moot).

I'm sorry I can't help more, I have not started on mod_jk2 yet.

If I do get it setup I'll give you more help.

(right now it does not compile for me and because I have a working
tomcat install and lots of other 'more important' things to do I must
leave it be).

-CA

Re: I don�t understand the objective of thisopen list !

Posted by grenoml <gr...@yahoo.com>.
  You will generally find on open-source mailing lists that if you
don't get a response to a question it is usually because the answer is
either in the documentation or in the mailing list and just a few
simple searches will usually return you the information that you seek,
or that you have not provided sufficient information for anyone to
comment on your problem.
  You will also find that there is no one to *yell at* here as you can
with a vendor-provided solution.  Open-source is generally supported by
technology enthusiasts who, without any compensation, devote their time
and expertise to promoting the open-source alternative.  If you are
coming from a vendor-provided solution base and are used to just
barking out questions and demanding answers you will find that you will
not be very welcome in a community where mutual respect and cooperation
are the norm.  There are many here that are willing to assist you but
you must show that you have done things like: thoroughly read the
documentation, made a reasonably thorough search of the existing
archives for the information that you seek, if you still need help then
thoroughly describing your problem in exact detail with supporting
information such as stacktraces, log entries, etc.

Regards,
Gerry Reno