Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> on 2020/06/30 06:06:09 UTC

NetBeans 12.0.1 Patch Release Preparation

Dear all,

We are planning to release 12.0.1 in middle of July if everything goes
right. I'm volunteering as an RM for that release. I'd like keep it in
short, so this is the plan how I'd like to do it this time:

Let's try to identify the scope: Please mark those PR-s which you think
worth to include in a patch release. Hopefully these are already merged
PR-s on GitHub

If the PR you wish to include is not merged yet, then get it in till
Wednesday EOD. BTW There won't be any code-freeze for this one.

If the PR is merged, then you have the time till Monday morning to mark
the PR-s you would like to see in 12.0.1 with the "NB12.0.1" label on GitHub

I'm going to review those and create a peer PR from the original
targeting the release120 branch. You can save my some time creating
those PR, but be aware to change the patch version number on the module
manifest.mf in addition to the changes in the original PR.

I would like to create a release bundle mid next week we are going to
vote on it. We are going to vote on the full source, however as it would
be a patch release, the binary release would be only the changed nbm-s.
No Maven, no javadoc, no installer. just the NBM-s on the 12.0 UC.

I do not know how to handle the website, but probably a small page/
section with the changelog shall be created.

So I'm hoping for a quick and painless release!

Laszlo Kishalmi

Re: NetBeans 12.0.1 Patch Release Preparation

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 30 Jun 2020 at 15:58, Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've changed the label to "NB12.0-u1". The label is just a marker of the
> existing PR. The upcoming PR-s for the release120 branch will have
> marked for the milestone: 12.0-u1
> AFAIK one PR can belong to one milestone.

Good catch!  Sounds a plan.  I think Junichi's concern was that with
labels we either end up with loads of them, or we delete / repurpose
them and lose the information.

> Hmm, I've originally thought that sharing the Jenkins job UC would be
> enough for testing.

Might be OK for testing now.  Before I had to download the nbms,
convert to jars, sign them, reconvert and svn check-in.

Of course, we only want the updated nbms in the vote and on the
mirrors though, not all of them.  So testing against a UC which only
has links to the updated nbms might still be a good idea?

I've just checked and Matthias did add a checkbox for marking UCs as
trusted in the UI when adding them - awesome!

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: NetBeans 12.0.1 Patch Release Preparation

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
On 6/30/20 3:19 AM, Neil C Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jun 2020 at 07:06, Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> We are planning to release 12.0.1 in middle of July if everything goes
>> right. I'm volunteering as an RM for that release.
> Great!  Now just need an RM for 12.1. :-)
>
> Are we definitely going with 12.0.1 over 12.0-u1?  We used -u1 for
> 11.2.  Either way fine with me, but we should probably document this
> time and stick to it in future?
Let's do the -u1 then and stick with that convention in the future. I'm
going to document that.

>> Let's try to identify the scope:
> The reason for having a 12.0(.1 / -u1) originally was the update for
> nb-javac.  I doubt that's going to make it, or even know where it's
> got to?!  And probably deserves more testing on master before pushing
> to a release anyway.
>
>> If the PR is merged, then you have the time till Monday morning to mark
>> the PR-s you would like to see in 12.0.1 with the "NB12.0.1" label on GitHub
> Maybe should use a milestone - that was decided for versions over
> labels a few releases back, and has benefits for archiving.  Junichi's
> thread at https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/7cf6c75bffa26adf7357f0e638eec490f22697905edcea04268bdb47%40%3Cdev.netbeans.apache.org%3E
I've changed the label to "NB12.0-u1". The label is just a marker of the
existing PR. The upcoming PR-s for the release120 branch will have
marked for the milestone: 12.0-u1
AFAIK one PR can belong to one milestone.

>> but be aware to change the patch version number on the module
>> manifest.mf in addition to the changes in the original PR.
> Being very careful that the patched version is less than the one in master.
>
>> I would like to create a release bundle mid next week we are going to
>> vote on it. We are going to vote on the full source, however as it would
>> be a patch release, the binary release would be only the changed nbm-s.
>> No Maven, no javadoc, no installer. just the NBM-s on the 12.0 UC.
> And splicing of the new entries into the update centre catalogue XML
> for 12.0 on the VM, with full links (rather than relative links) via
> closer.lua.  Which requires careful escaping - I only broke updates
> for half an hour! ;-)
>
> For the 11.2-u1 vote an extra update centre was made available during
> the vote so people could test installing the NBMs - not via closer.lua
> though, obviously - see
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/0e8607fb94bbe5f9e3bc620a3e516a4a4a7c97c1b23f5305731d4ee6%40%3Cdev.netbeans.apache.org%3E
>
> The xml.u1 as suffix is needed because of the current redirect pattern
> on the VM.
Hmm, I've originally thought that sharing the Jenkins job UC would be
enough for testing.
> It would be really good to test NBM updates as part of this, however,
> I'm not sure how easy it would be to add an extra UC as trusted, and
> thus check the signatures in the XML and trouble free installation.
>
> At least the trusted mechanism means you no longer have the fun of
> mangling the NBMs through Apache's JAR signing process! :-)
>
> I realise you did a lot of those steps with the 11.0 update, but a few
> changes to build process and VM config since, including that UC
> catalog is no longer, and cannot be, served via the mirrors.  Give
> Eric or I a shout if anything isn't properly documented!
Well, I definitely have to fill my blanks here, thanks for your help!

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
The PR-s for 12.0-u1 are ready. So far it seems that we are going to
release patches for modules:

apisupport.wizards, openide.util.lookup, openide.util.ui, gradle,
gradle.junit, maven

As soon as I get green reports from CI, I'm going to merge and test the
build.