Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Renat Gilfanov <gr...@mail.ru> on 2013/09/03 04:11:40 UTC

Recomended storage choice for Cassandra on Amazon m1.xlarge instance

 Hello,

I'd like to ask what is the best options of separating commit log and data on Amazon m1.xlarge instance, given 4x420 Gb attached storages and EBS volume ?

As far as I understand, the EBS is not the choice and it's recomended to use attached storages instead.
Is it better to combine 4 ephemeral drives in 2 raid0 (or raid1 ?), and store data on the first and commit log on the second? Or may be trying other combinations like 1 attached storage for commit log, and 3 others grouped in raid0 for data?

Thank you.

Re: Recomended storage choice for Cassandra on Amazon m1.xlarge instance

Posted by Andrey Ilinykh <ai...@gmail.com>.
You benefit from putting commit log on separate drive only if this drive is
an isolated spinning device. EC2 ephemeral is a virtual device, so I don't
think it makes sense to put commit log on a separated drive. I would build
raid0 from 4 drives and put everything their. But it would be interesting
to compare different configurations.

Thank you,
   Andrey