Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Nick De Decker <ni...@i-vision.be> on 2002/04/07 03:21:58 UTC

apache 2.0.35 mpm=worker settings ?

Hello,

I'm testing apache 2.0.35 right now (mpm=worker) but i can't seem to find
goodsettings for the server.
I try the ab that comes with apache to perform the benchmarks.

My old apache 1.3 config :
------------------------------------
MinSpareServers 5
MaxSpareServers 10
StartServers 5
MaxClients 2048
MaxRequestsPerChild 0

New 2.0.35 worker config :
------------------------------------
Startservers 5
MaxClients   25
MinSpareThreads 5
MaxSpareThreads 10
ThreadsPerChild 25
MaxRequestsPerChild 0

With these settings :

ab -n 1000 -c 1  http://localhost/index.html (1000 bytes page)
Apache 1.3
----------------
Requests per second:    831.26
All requests 0-1 ms

Apache 2
--------------
Request per second:    1022.45
All requests 0-1

Then i made concurrent requests higher and higher.
Up to the point that -c had the same value then ThreadsPerChild : 25 apache
2 was always faster.
However when i try 30 concurent connections :

Apache 1.3
----------------
Requests per second:    834.03
All requests average 33 ms

Apache 2
-------------
Requests per second:   21.56
All requests average : 2009 ms

=> What can i do about this ? Apache 1.3 stays fast even with 500 concurent
users, apache 2.0 only gets 12 requests/sec and average response times of
44000 ms !!!

When i higher maxclients and threadperchild to values of 960 and 64 i get
6000 ms response time and 130 requests per second.

What am i doing wrong ? I thought apache 2.0 was a lot faster then 1.3 ???

(btw: the system was a linux 2.4.17 with 512 mbyte pc133 ram and 1000 mhz
duron, system didnt got stressed at all during these tests)

Any help is appreciated,

Nick De Decker